BanginGMC

Some help on choosing what enclosure

I am planning on running 2 15" HDC3s (copper) and im either planning on doing a slot port in 8cubic ft tuned to 36hz with 2 AQ2200

OR

I've been thinking about doing a wall, about the same size or bigger, tuned to the same (i think)

--

I'm thinking the wall will give me more output/power??? - thats what i need to know

I have a 86 s15 and this would be my first time for a wall, so i dont have a lot of info/knowlage on walls.

-im rushing to go to class, i know im lackin info and mispelled words :santa:

thanks dom

IF the wall is built correctly it should be much louder. Consider the amount of space remaining in the vehicle when you're dealing with a ported box vs a wall.

Not sure of your goals, but would assume loud it is. In that case, I'd question using the AQ drivers and lean another way. That and realize that the first shot on a wall is no guarantee. Neither of course is first shot on a box. The advantage of a box is that it is easy to build many or alter it to maximize output for the power that you have.

Why copper coils?

Edit: Okay guys i have some extra time.

My goal is to figure out what enclosure would give me much more output/louder etc. etc. I think i can build a wall pretty good, i can get a 3D design from a guy i know with a cut-sheet and everything to make it real easy. I figured id get copper coils because, i heard unless your going to run 3k+ get copper, do you think i should go with aluminum? I know a wall is going to take up much more space then a box.. the box is already pretty huge. Wouldn't the box give me more leg room cause it would be taller therefore wouldnt have to be as wide as the box because of the space being used in height? Also, using a wall i would have enough room to go with 2 18's right? From side pannel to side pannel.. from floor to half of the back window.. and from the back wall to the seat.. is 8cubes SO if i went with a wall i would have MUCH more room.

I have thought about using different drivers

For a car like yours it would be very easy making a wall, take your seats and such out then build it inside it. or you could do a blow through since it looks like you have a truckbed cover.

Yes, i have thought about doing a blow through many many times, i have a design for 6 12's but never followed though with it.

If i do a blow though or a wall i will go with 2 18" HDC3 and 2 AQ2200

If i do a slot port box i can only fit 2 15" HDC3 and 2 AQ2200

What would i get more output from with my equipment:

1) Wall?

2) Slot Port Box? roughly 8 cubes - 36hz

3) Blow Through?

Blow through :drink40:

It would be easier, but i have a snap on bed cover.. so i'd have to figure out a way to water proof the box.

It would be easier, but i have a snap on bed cover.. so i'd have to figure out a way to water proof the box.

Cover it with bedliner.

Bedliner FTW :)

God damnit Jay. :No:

Haha alright then bedliner it is. You guys are talking about that shit ina can tho right? A link would be bomb.

That would work, you could do your whole bed with Rhinolinings though

You've never heard of Rhino Linings?

I know what it is.. just dont know where to buy it from.

A Rhino Linings shop is the only place I know of, there are other brands that are the same stuff though. Don't ask me where to get it though.

I figured they didnt distribute their products through a can and what not, id imagine the MDF would soak that shit up. I got a guy that sprays bed linerrs and shit tho so i can have him do it if a spray can from like home depot or whatever doesnt have any i can use.

BUT a blow through would be best for output?

I really don't understand the fascination with the HDC3 drivers. The only real positive I ever see on any forum is that they can take a lot of power. Who the hell cares? And why is that a benefit. Personally, even if I were going for loud I'd rather have the driver that got louder on less power than the other way around. You can surely buy what you want, but IMO there are a variety of options that far exceed those for your goals and budget.

If you have the ability for a blowthrough I would do that, of course it's more a personal preferance. Give us some info about what equipment you have and a budget for subs/amps if you don't currently have anything. I would think 4 or more 12's (depending on how much room you're willing to sacrifice) with optimal power could be nasty loud. Realistically, the bottom line is you have to do what makes you the happiest. You may want a wall just because you've wanted a wall :shrug: Everyone here will do whatever we can to offer the best advice we can though throughout your build. Wish ya the best bro :drink40:

Well, ive done some thinking and i'm going to go with 2 18" fully loaded BTLs... sound better? ;) BUT i will still have to use the 2 AQ2200 because i already own one.. :suicide-santa: but 2200wrms on each driver should be plenty right? I'm not going to strap the amps so i'll just run each d2 driver to 1ohm to an amp. It's not hard to match the gains and filters right? - just match em up exactly by eye.

About the ability to do a blow through, yeah i can do it.. ive looked through plenty of build logs and bookmarked a few to go back on.

I dont use my bed at all so i can take up all of the space needed.

I always did want a wall tho, i thought it would be louder for a wall cause you are RIGHT next to the thing, no?

If you really want a blow through, have the whole bed to use, and want insanely loud, bandpass it.

I dont see why 2200rms isnt enough for BTL's since there recommended 2000rms depending on options chose and box that they are going in (there is no such thing as underpowering a sub if that is another thing your worried about, just build your box where it will use those 2200 watts efficiently). The filters you can do by eye, the gain should be done by a DMM or Max-link.