briznack

Nissan Leaf or Total Electric in General

I am seriously considering purchasing the Nissan Leaf when it comes out in Oct, its an all electric vehicle. (Link to the Leaf http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/battery.jsp#/details) The site doesn't list any specs on the car and I can't find any details in other articles on the internets. Does anyone know any specs on this car? Not the how far it goes, how long it takes to cahrge but, will it be 12-14 volt? Will running a system in this thing just kill the charge? (Fi Q 12" rms @ 1000w, JL 1000/1 v.2, Focal K3P UV rms @ 200w, Sundown 125.2) Really if anyone knows much about running systems in electric cars at all. Thanks!

Put an amplifier in there and your warranty is void.

Thanks for the response.

Really? Why and where did you read/hear this?

Really? Wow that is pretty weird! I wonder why that would be?

i dont know about Nissan's policies but Toyota states that a warranty can only be void if a failure occurs and is found to have been caused by something that the manufacturer did not do.

For instance- i put a wall in my scion tc. If my driver seat's sensors failed.. they'd fix it. Now, if my suspension system failed... they wouldnt...

Hell, i've even gotten them to replace some weather stripping around my car that came loose from the vibrations, hehe.

Thanks for the response.

Really? Why and where did you read/hear this?

Really? Wow that is pretty weird! I wonder why that would be?

Toyoda started the policy with the Prius, they know that with the large amount of power available people would want to put amplifiers in the vehicles, thus decreasing the life of the batteries. They don't want to warranty all of the batteries when they fail, so they state in the owners manual your warranty will be void if you put an amplifier in there. I'm 99% sure Nissan is just as smart.

well i got a question...

What is the actual voltage that these electric vehicles use?

I thought it was a lot higher than 12v... Is it not?

They vary by vehicle. 14V, 42V, or 200V.

Again, please let me know the sources for your answers. I'd like to read up on this instead of asking the forum.

Edited by briznack

Again, please let me know the sources for your answers. I'd like to read up on this instead of asking the forum.

The owners manual of a friends Prius said don't do it. Any alterations to the vehicle will have that part removed from the warranty, I doubt you want your expensive batteries void form the warranty if anything should happen.

Ok, I can look up owners manuals on one of the databases at the library, thanks, I don't know why that didn't occur to me when I was looking for voltage info. Where, though, are you getting the voltage info, I couldn't find that listed anywhere.

Ok, I can look up owners manuals on one of the databases at the library, thanks, I don't know why that didn't occur to me when I was looking for voltage info. Where, though, are you getting the voltage info, I couldn't find that listed anywhere.

Normally both 14V and 42V batteries are found in the vehicles, 14 for the normal electronics and 42 for the drive and steering system, normally they are connected as well and there is a step down dc-dc converter from the 42V to 14V. There is a lot of information about it, just have to know where to look. Forums | V is for Voltage electric vehicle forum

Normally both 14V and 42V batteries are found in the vehicles, 14 for the normal electronics and 42 for the drive and steering system, normally they are connected as well and there is a step down dc-dc converter from the 42V to 14V. There is a lot of information about it, just have to know where to look. Forums | V is for Voltage electric vehicle forum

This is a great resource, thanks for the pro tip!