ben29555

WinISD 4th Order help

Can someone explane what these charts mean?

2ngzuas.jpg

345hn6a.jpg

2jbwgtf.jpg

2jbwgtf.jpg

i don"t understand what these mean but the first cart being the highest at 50hz makes me think that i won't be able to hit lows well.

i listen to slowed music 90% of the time i just want loud and low. i don"t really care about anything above 50hz or so.

box is a 4th order 2 cubes sealed 6 ported tuned to 60hz 90sq in. of port.

if i am right about not being able to hit low how can i change that? lower tuning, make chambers smaller? (8 cubes is the most space i have so can"t make chamber bigger without making other smaller)

It would help if you told us what graphs we're looking at, and it would also help if you would change the settings on the graphs so that the vertical scale includes all of the curve.

Looks like you built a bandpass that isn't geared towards playing sub-bass and has a peaky output.

What is it that you are trying to understand about the curves?

Looks like you built a bandpass that isn't geared towards playing sub-bass and has a peaky output.

What is it that you are trying to understand about the curves?

i am aiming to get real low and loud i don"t what it to be real peaky but i don"t care much about the real high end. all the songs i have a listen to regularly the highest notes were around 55 hz.

with the curves the way they are now do you wink i will get those results? or sound i change tuning or sizing of chambers?

Real loud and low ISN'T 4th order BP. Build a ported box, you'll have better results for your goals.

Real loud and low ISN'T 4th order BP. Build a ported box, you'll have better results for your goals.

already have a ported box and i want to try something different so i figured a 4th order

heres my all of the boxes

Lime Green: my current ported box

Blue: the planed 4th order from above. 6 cubes ported, 2 cubes sealed, tuned to 60hz

Red: 4th order after playing with sizing and tuning. 5 cubes ported, 3 cubes sealed, tuned to 50

Gain

rkohsy.jpg

i read some guide to using Winisd and it said

"When the line peaks above the flat 0 line, it tells you that there will be more power going to those frequencies within the peak than there will be elsewhere. When the line dips below flat, less power is produced. "

So that means that when the lines are above the red flat line their will be less impedance raise and more power output.

Red: i will have more power output from from 33 to 50hz they my current box (green) but slightly less from 50hz up.

blue: i would have about the same range of frequencies as my current box (green) with more power out put.

please tell me if my statements are correct.

SPL

rmtkwm.jpg

Red: more lower end output then current box and slightly less 50 hz up

blue: will be louder on higher end but not on lower end

correct?

Edited by ben29555

when you build this and put in your vehicle those charts will go out the window cause when cabin gain and other factors come into play it wont be the same. i just built one for myself for the first time with a american bass xd15 its 1.6 sealed and 4 ported@44 i dont know if i just got lucky but it has a decent range and rolls off above 45hz i wish i had a TL to see what its really doing. but all in all is sounds good and gets pretty damn loud. the only way to really know is to do. so just do it and see what happens.

when you build this and put in your vehicle those charts will go out the window cause when cabin gain and other factors come into play it wont be the same. i just built one for myself for the first time with a american bass xd15 its 1.6 sealed and 4 ported@44 i dont know if i just got lucky but it has a decent range and rolls off above 45hz i wish i had a TL to see what its really doing. but all in all is sounds good and gets pretty damn loud. the only way to really know is to do. so just do it and see what happens.

ok but now im stuck between which of the 2 i should do the one tuned to 50 hz or the one tuned to 60 hz

edit: a guy on smd told me this awhile ago and its how i designed my first box so you think i should just stick with that?

or maby make the port tuned to 50 insted of 60

band passes are tricky

rule of thumb for a 15 you need 1.5 cubes sealed and for an 18 roughly 2 cubes sealed

2-1 ratio is musical

3-1 both musical and spl

4-1 way to peaky

and there usually tuned roughly to 60 hz

so for your 18 you'd need roughly an 8 cube box 2 sealed and a 3-1 ratio you'd need 6 cubes ported

then comes the guessing/trial error shit and when you play with port area and what not and play with shrinking the box to dial it in

Edited by ben29555

i'd say 50 and make the port big since you listen to mostly slowed music a lil lower would probly be better. im a bandpass noob hell im learning as i go so lol. like i said just try and see. if you feel like you wont gain anything from this or you dont wanna waste money just build a ported box. but if you really wanna get an idea of whats goin on you caint be afraid to fail

Edited by CaptinPower

Looks like something between the red and blue lines might be what you want. Average their volumes and see what that gives you.

Also, there is no way I'd ever adhere to a "rule" like a 15 needs 1.5 cubes sealed and an 18 needs 2 and the ratios and all that. Every driver is different and every driver will perform differently with both different volumes and ratios, even with the same cone area.

yellow line is in between the 2 its 5.5 cubes ported to 50 hz and 2.5 cubes sealed

Gain

n1v6z6.jpg

SPL

2ikw092.jpg

Edited by ben29555