Sign in to follow this  
Dan208

Sealed or ported?

I picked up some BNIB 10" Clarion subs for stupid cheap. In the owners manual they have box sizes listed for SQ sealed (.5 cubes) and SQ ported (.65 cubes). I've never seen SQ ported box recommendations before.

Anyways, here's something else that was in the manual.

Sealed:

Power Handling-Good at all frequencies

Linearity-Excellent

Dynamic Performance-Excellent

Efficiency-Good

Subsonic Output-Excellent

Midbass Output-Excellent

Enclosure Size-Small

Ported:

Power Handling-Good above tuning frequency

Linearity-Good

Dynamic Performance-Good

Efficiency-Very Good

Subsonic Output-Good

Midbass Output-Very Good

Enclosure Size-Medium

Does this mean that these subs are more suited for sealed enclosures?I'm not interested in numbers, but would like to get metered one day just out of curiosity. I'm just wanting a decently loud, good sounding daily driver. My vehicle is our "family truckster", so I can't take up the entire back.

I am currently running one of these sealed, and it's a very impressive sub.

What is the drivers Q?

All of the other stuff listed doesn't mean anything...

Also, just food for thought, the highest-end loudspeakers (like the ones that cost more than a new BMW) are very often vented.

T/S Parameters (for those interested):

Revc(ohm)-3.7

Fo(Hz)-30.811

Sd(szM)-0.034636

Vas(Ltr)-35.598

Cms(M/N)-208.971

Mmd(g)-124.517

Mms(g)-131.930

BL-13.245

Qms-5.287

Qes-0.530

Qts-0.482

Levc(mH)-1.600

No(%)-0.181

SPLo(dB)-84.592

Xmax(mm)-12

Vd(ft3)-0.045

If you have room, go ported ! But be sure to make a good ported box.

I'm trying to decide between the SQ sealed and the SQ ported. They list 1.25 cubes for SPL ported, but I don't want to go that big.

I'm trying to decide between the SQ sealed and the SQ ported. They list 1.25 cubes for SPL ported, but I don't want to go that big.

If your just worried about output then go SQ ported but if not and you like how sealed sounds then stay sealed. The best way to tell is build a box for both, build a ported SQ box for one sub now and compare it to the sealed box you already have made then make a decision. Just my .02

If your just worried about output then go SQ ported but if not and you like how sealed sounds then stay sealed. The best way to tell is build a box for both, build a ported SQ box for one sub now and compare it to the sealed box you already have made then make a decision. Just my .02

Yeah, I'll probably just build both and see which one I like better. If anything, it will get me a little more experience in building boxes.

More experience in building boxes and understanding the difference/hearing the difference in sound between a ported and sealed box also.

More experience in building boxes and understanding the difference/hearing the difference in sound between a ported and sealed box also.

Yes. Most of my systems in the past were sealed, so I don't have much experience with listening to ported. I think there's only been one time that I ran ported, but that was YEARS ago.

I would go with ported tuned to about 32 hz,

What kind of music do you listen to ?

A little bit of everything, but mostly hard rock/metal.

I would go with ported tuned to about 32 hz,

What kind of music do you listen to ?

A little bit of everything, but mostly hard rock/metal.

I honestly wouldnt know where to port for rock, maybe someone else can chime in on that but my 33hz was great on rock music when i had that system.

i listen to a lot of different types of music myself. mostly rock now and rap still. I have had many sealed systems and a few ported ones, all ported systems tuned to 33hz, played rock very well, but thats in messing with the box design, also has to do with the woofer. you will notice more low end on a ported box though and you can blend that over time with work here and there, but if you want something that just blends in right away. stay sealed. i wont ever go back to sealed now, but im also planning a much louder setup now so that makes a difference for me.

Go ported @ 32hz w/ aa 1 cuft box. Would sound nice.

Maybe a dumb question, but would it be a mistake to try and port my current box? It's .86 cubic feet, so I'm not sure if it would work or not.

Maybe a dumb question, but would it be a mistake to try and port my current box? It's .86 cubic feet, so I'm not sure if it would work or not.

It's possible, you will have to take into account of the port displacement when tuning. Better off starting from scratch and building a new ported box. Then compare it to the sealed box you already have.

It's possible, you will have to take into account of the port displacement when tuning. Better off starting from scratch and building a new ported box. Then compare it to the sealed box you already have.

Alright. I'll just stick with keeping it sealed and build a few new boxes, soon hopefully.