Sign in to follow this  
Smitty

Death Row Power Handling

Hey a buddy of mine wants me to buy him a 15" sub since he doesnt have internet at his home. He has a kicker zx1500, and I was wondering how the death row would handle that kind of power. I figure it will be fine but its not my money so i don't want to take any chances of him blowing his sub. Would I be better off just getting him a fully loade fi bl or an xcon, just to play it safe.

Give us some goals! SPL orientated or Daily ground pounder? Vehicle, musical preferences, electrical upgrades?

To be honest he probly just listens to rap and is mainly concerned about it being a really loud daily driver to show off with since"I want my shit to be boomin smitty" is really the only preference he gave me. My buddy does'nt really know too much about car audio or any brands past the mainstream stuff, I'm sure any of these subs would be a real eye opener to him. He'll probly be pushin his system really hard alot whichever sub he gets which is the only reason i'm concerned about the DR's handling 1500+rms on a daily basis.

He wants to put it in an toyota avalon too, I think, he has two chevy caprices too but I think he want to put it in the avalon if I'm not mistaken.

To be honest he probly just listens to rap and is mainly concerned about it being a really loud daily driver to show off with since"I want my shit to be boomin smitty" is really the only preference he gave me. My buddy does'nt really know too much about car audio or any brands past the mainstream stuff, I'm sure any of these subs would be a real eye opener to him. He'll probly be pushin his system really hard alot whichever sub he gets which is the only reason i'm concerned about the DR's handling 1500+rms on a daily basis.

They are underrated subs but it will also depend on electrical and mostly enclosure. With clean, unclipped power and the right gain settings I dont see why it wouldnt hold up. I would just make sure you tell him to leave most of the settings alone if he doesnt want to waste any of his hard earned money, but more information would help us help you.

I'm pretty sure his electrical is stock, i'm not sure if he's willing to spend the money to ugrade it, but money probly wont be a problem considering he drives three different pimped out cars. Considering he leaves his electrical stock wich would be the best choice, which would be the best choice if he decides to upgrade his electrical. I'm pretty sure just wants a really loud daily setup.

If you are that worried about the power handling on the sub in the first place this project seems doomed , The enclosure . the vehicle , how the port is loaded will all play a part in power handling because we are talking about AC current it is not constant, and it is varible( it fluctuates with the impedence curve) and with a stock electrical you probably won't be seening anywhere near 1500wrms cleanly out of your amplifier anyway , we have people running 2k to 15" DR's for daily for almost a year now with 0 problems, they don't so much as even get hot , but it is hard to make a claim or recommendation with out knowing the varibles at play ,