dueces11

best 15" subs for a ~4 cubic ft box

its some what shy of 4 ft.

the box is currently tuned at 40hz, which i can lower if need be.

I am looking for the loudest subwoofers. I am not too worried about SPL but i dont want it to sound like pure shit.

I was thinking about l7s, but thought id ask to get others advice.

thanks!

btw, i need two and would like to stay under 500 but i can change my price a little higher.........

edit, just realized i typed SPL when i meant SQ. its time for me to get sleep. lol

Edited by dueces11

its some what shy of 4 ft.

the box is currently tuned at 40hz, which i can lower if need be.

I am looking for the loudest subwoofers. I am not too worried about SPL but i dont want it to sound like pure shit.

I was thinking about l7s, but thought id ask to get others advice.

thanks!

btw, i need two and would like to stay under 500 but i can change my price a little higher.........

Is that volume for one sub or both subs, if so your box is too small for 15"s?

thats the volume for 1 sub.

when we made the box, we had to make the back side 3 inches smaller than the front so that it could slide into my trunk.

the total box is somewhat close to 8 ft.

If it is really tuned to 40 hz I'd change that first. To me that will cause a response that's way too peaky in the 45-55 hz range and not have anything in the 25-35. But I guess that could also depend on what kind of music you listen to. If you just listen to rock, maybe that would be fine since the kick drum is above your tuning frequency.

The L7 won't be ridiculously terrible at 40Hz, if you tune it lower it will open other options. The box is a little small for the L7 though.

If it is really tuned to 40 hz I'd change that first. To me that will cause a response that's way too peaky in the 45-55 hz range and not have anything in the 25-35. But I guess that could also depend on what kind of music you listen to. If you just listen to rock, maybe that would be fine since the kick drum is above your tuning frequency.

no, i listen to rap/hip hop.

You definantly want to tune lower if you listen to rap/hip-hop, you may want to build another box as well since it is on the small side already.

Less port area will lower the tuning...of course you never told us what you had for area so it is hard to make a recommendation.