silenkiller

Four Q's vs Four Bl's? What differences can you expect?

Saw your note in this thread:

2 FI Audio q series dual 2 ohm 15's - SSA Car Audio Forum - Page 2

You CANNOT mix old and new Q's in an install.

Plus AGAIN without knowing REALLY how much space you have NO ONE can recommend anything and have it be helpful.

Well, now you're just making assumptions ;P. I have two 15 inch dual 1 q's with bp already. One I'm selling, and the other is in a HT setup of mine. So, thats what I mean't by I'd get those if they were dual 1's, because then I could wire all four to 2 ohm load for strapped aq2200d's.

Also, at some point in the beginning of my thread I believe I said something to the effect of to assume both subwoofers would be in their optimum spaces. I can most likely get 16 cubes. Won't be easy, but I think I can.

Is that 16 cubes before or after displacements. The port for a box that large will take up a bit of volume, as well as the bracing, double baffles/walls, and the subs themselves.

To me it seems that the BL's are what you want, as M5 stated.

Also, what music do you listen to? There aren't many songs that I can think of that go much below 30hz, Bass I Love You and some slowed songs are what come to mind. Also you will need a bit beefier electrical to support 4k wrms.

The two subs are designed to do two completely different things. The BL to get loud (though it doesn't sound bad by my standards). And the Q to sound good (gets decently loud, nothing crazy though). Most of is in the build though.

Edited by rmzsuzuki89

Plus AGAIN without knowing REALLY how much space you have NO ONE can recommend anything and have it be helpful.

Well, now you're just making assumptions ;P. I have two 15 inch dual 1 q's with bp already. One I'm selling, and the other is in a HT setup of mine. So, thats what I mean't by I'd get those if they were dual 1's, because then I could wire all four to 2 ohm load for strapped aq2200d's.

Also, at some point in the beginning of my thread I believe I said something to the effect of to assume both subwoofers would be in their optimum spaces. I can most likely get 16 cubes. Won't be easy, but I think I can.

Is that 16 cubes before or after displacements. The port for a box that large will take up a bit of volume, as well as the bracing, double baffles/walls, and the subs themselves.

Also, what music do you listen to? There aren't many songs that I can think of that go much below 30hz, Bass I Love You and some slowed songs are what come to mind. Also you will need a bit beefier electrical to support 4k wrms.

The two subs are designed to do two completely different things. The BL to get loud (though it doesn't sound bad by my standards) And the Q to sound good (gets decently loud, nothing crazy though). Most of is in the build though.

Yeah I gotcha. Well, i may only be able to do 16 before displacement. So in the end I may be better off going with the Q's just so they can be in their optimum environment.

The two subs are designed to do two completely different things. The BL to get loud (though it doesn't sound bad by my standards) And the Q to sound good (gets decently loud, nothing crazy though). Most of is in the build though.

Yeah I gotcha. Well, i may only be able to do 16 before displacement. So in the end I may be better off going with the Q's just so they can be in their optimum environment.

It's more driver size that will dictate whether you can fit them in there. Perhaps either two 18"s or four 12"s would be a better route.

It's more driver size that will dictate whether you can fit them in there. Perhaps either two 18"s or four 12"s would be a better route.

Well, I can physically fit four 15 inch woofers in the box, but what I was referring to is, doesn't the Q's optim. ported enc. size a bit less than a bl's?

If 16cuft is net, you'll be fine. If it is gross, then you should really triple check your measurements before going any further.

As for advantages of the BL, they will be way louder in the frequencies that you are looking for.

*sorry for the assumption on the purchase, considering you are asking for four here and then look to buy two in another thread I wanted to make sure you didn't try to mix and match which was my point. ;)

So, there isn't that much of a startling difference between the lower FS and much higher xmax of the Q's? I think thats also what made me lean towards them. More xmax and lower FS usually means better lows. Well, I'll try and talk my bro into waiting a bit and maybe saving up for the bl's.

Edited by silenkiller

What is his budget? also have you looked into the SSD? it is a very underrated sub for the price.

So, there isn't that much of a startling difference between the lower FS and much higher xmax of the Q's? I think thats also what made me lean towards them. More xmax and lower FS usually means better lows. Well, I'll try and talk my bro into waiting a bit and maybe saving up for the bl's.

There is a startling difference. The BL is MUCH louder. Don't read a few T/S specs and expect to understand, you need to look at them all.

i saw on another thread he was about to get SSDs?

lol well for now he's just chillen on the idea until he finishes getting his cash together. haste makes waste ya know ;)

I do think he's been looken at the SSD line too, someone told him to check it out lol. I told him that BL > SSD of course. But he's talkn about four ssd 18's now haha

I'm pretty sure I've talked him out of the Q's tho. Seems down to BL's, maybe SSD's, or he was thinking maybe just two BTL's lmao. So not sure if eliminating the Q's made it easier haha

Edited by silenkiller

Might as well check out the xcon, I have been lookin at that one

Eh I've ran em and they are good but too expensive for him. Plus they are 1750 rms, would be a waste then for four - not enough power.

Also they are more ""SQL"", so I bet btl's or maybe even the bl's would get louder. (Not that the xcons dont get loud)

Eh I've ran em and they are good but too expensive for him. Plus they are 1750 rms, would be a waste then for four - not enough power.

Also they are more "SQL", so I bet btl's or maybe even the bl's would get louder. (Not that the xcons dont get loud)

No such thing as SQL or underpowering a subwoofer.

Also they are more """SQL""", so I bet btl's or maybe even the bl's would get louder. (Not that the xcons dont get loud)

No such thing as ""SQL"" or underpowering a subwoofer.

siigghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

1: okay, its a sq sub that has a 1750 rms rating.

2: why should he pay more for a setup of subs that would have 3000 watts worth of headroom when the bl's would be cheaper and land right at the amount of power he has?

I didnt say get them or anything I was just stating a fact and letting you no there is no such thing as underpowering so you can store it in your head for future knowledge.

I didnt say get them or anything I was just stating a fact and letting you no there is no such thing as underpowering so you can store it in your head for future knowledge.

Well, I guess what im trying to say is, in the context that I was referring to, yes, you would be underpowering the subs. Not that it matters at all, but to save some cash it does.

Also they are more ""SQL"", so I bet btl's or maybe even the bl's would get louder. (Not that the xcons dont get loud)

No such thing as "SQL" or underpowering a subwoofer.

siigghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

1: okay, its a sq sub that has a 1750 rms rating.

2: why should he pay more for a setup of subs that would have 3000 watts worth of headroom when the bl's would be cheaper and land right at the amount of power he has?

Who knows he didn't share his goals so it might be a better choice.

Well I think i've talked him into understanding that what he really wants is to get loud lol. So Id imagine he is going to go with Bl's eventually because they fit his budget best out of the btl and xcons. (needs four 15's, 4,000 watts to work with, 20 cuft to work with)

Not sure if you are still deciding, I am just throwing in my late 2 cents. If you have ever heard them side by side in relatively similar enclosures, the BL is much louder and in my opinion, does not lack the sound quality that your friend would seem to care for, granted I don't know him. I think someone already said that, just adding my opinion.

Not sure if you are still deciding, I am just throwing in my late 2 cents. If you have ever heard them side by side in relatively similar enclosures, the BL is much louder and in my opinion, does not lack the sound quality that your friend would seem to care for, granted I don't know him. I think someone already said that, just adding my opinion.

Amusing since I can say the same thing 300 times on here and people still don't believe it. It is most definitely the case.