netzero

Q and SSD questions, for mustang

Hi all, I had a few questions while waiting on the updates in the line. I currently have an audioque 1200d for power and plan on running one sub in the trunk of my 2010 mustang. I'm having the box custom built rear firing. I listen to all music.

What would the output and sound differences be between one 10 in 1.25 ft^3 @ 32 hz and one 12 in 1.25 sealed, either ssd or q?

I was wondering if the SSD with BP option would handle 1200 watts, or would it be safer to stick with a Q?

Basically, I can go biggest on the box for ported around 2 cubic feet at 32 hz for one 12, and any size smaller. One 10 ported, or one 12 sealed, Q or SSD? For my application what do you think would work best? Price isn't too much of a concern.

Thanks and sorry for the jumble of info, hopefully you get what iIm saying.

The SSD will work fine with BP Power and that amplifier, if your not after an SQ install then dont go the Q route.

The SSD will work fine wit BP Power and that amplifier, if your not after an SQ install then dont go the Q route.

Ok cool, would the SSDs still sound good and have strong low end? I want it to sound good, but its being added to a stock system so its not the priority...

A sub sounding good will come down to enclosure and install, if both of those suck then so will how it sounds. The enclosure will determine the low end as well, but yes the SSD will do both well in its recommended enclosures.

Ok great thanks! Ruling out the Q, going with a new SSD, which would provide the best output and quality for the power, 1.25 @ 32 Hz ported 10 with BP, or a 12 with BP sealed 1.25? Or possibly squeezing out a 12 with BP in 2 ft^3 @ 32hz?

Edited by netzero

If your going to compare the 12" ported to a 12" sealed to a 10" ported I would go with the 12" ported.

If your going to compare the 12" ported to a 12" sealed to a 10" ported I would go with the 12" ported.

Ya I think that was a stupid question, so i'll shoot for that, but between the 12 sealed and the 10 ported, what would be the better choice for sq/output?

I would let someone else answer that question, usually more cone area wins but ported usually has more output than sealed. What type of music do you listen to?

I would let someone else answer that question, usually more cone area wins but ported usually has more output than sealed. What type of music do you listen to?

I listen to pretty much everything, rap and hard rock mostly. I've ran 12s sealed and ported and liked both. Will the 10 ported play the same range as the 12?

The SSD ported, copper coil, is an excellent option. Then again, the Q 12 sealed has always been outstanding. It really is a win win.

also, how stuck are you on fi? not to take away from them but i've heard the ssa line up is badass in sealed boxes and ported boxes. try looking around a bit. just to be sure u get what u want.

I don't have much experience with the SSDs... j/k. I vote for 10" SSD, copper coils, and bp option. Put it in 1.25 net tops if you are going to give it more than 1000 watts. Going with a 10" sub would be easier to fit your box into the mustang trunk. I hate those trunk openings unless you build the box inside the trunk. Going with a 10 and bigger port opening might get you louder than going with a 12 SSD in minimal box with small opening.

X2 to what jay-cee said with the mustang trunks. It was hard to fit anything into the trunk of my 2009 and the openings on the 2010's are even smaller.

Actually, I take that back about the 10" SSD. If you really wanted to go with a 12" SSD, then you can use a 4" aeroport and you can fit a good size box in there. Maybe around 2 cubes. I have worked with both a 2002 mustang and a 2005 mustang GT. Their trunk opening gets smaller and smaller. lol.

The SSD ported, copper coil, is an excellent option. Then again, the Q 12 sealed has always been outstanding. It really is a win win.

:woot:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. Yes I have looked at the Icons a bit, and I think they're great subs, just always wanted a Fi, and I think this is going to be a long lasting setup :)

I played around with a few options with the guy building the box, he can do a 12 ported with an aero, so I think it'll just come down to my gut feeling once I get close to ordering the sub and box. I know I can do a sealed setup any way, but I think I'd like to do ported. I'm thinking if my AQ amp can put out around 1200 rms i might shrink the box a bit and tune it closer to 30 hz for a 12.

Then port the Q 12 :) .