Sign in to follow this  
flakko

okay messed with the calculator

okay i was messing around with the info yall gave me for tube ports and i came up with this:

rlpbox6px.png

now is it okay to have the 2 ports on the opposite ends of the enclosure?

you cant do both ports on 1 side ?

i dunno. its possible i guess but one is gonna have to be on top and the 2nd on the bottom of the sub.

will it have any bad side effects the way in the picture?

probably some mad cancellation

Why not slot port it ?

probably some mad cancellation

Why not slot port it ?

no room... im planning on having as much trunk space as possible... im lookin to build a long skinny box... to match my body type :)

No room...you shure ?

round ports take up more room than slot.

They also cost $10 each, slot ports are made of scrap MDF

No room...you shure ?

for me not really cuz if you look at the dimensions of the box im building, its gonna be 8.5" thick and 43" long. i was thinking about sticking some flared tube ports in there to save on the room.

and ya i calculated airspace and everything.

you cant make the slot port on the bottom/side ?

No room...you shure ?

Not quite... the wood needed for a slot port displaces much more than the 1/4" PVC does. As well, you need more port area in a slot port, than you will for a round port due to friction.

Having ports coming from two different planes will case mad cancellation. Keep the ports to one plane.

assuming that the outside dimensions are 43"x14.5"X8.5" ....

What sub are you using? With the depth you have stated, you cannot fit a sub any deeper than 5".

As well, the box as shown, will only be 1.856 ft^3, the port lengths are off because of this.

oh its gonna be a 12" rl-p. i can adjust the thickness of the box an inch or 2. but 1.5" between the pole vent and a surface is fine rite??

oh its gonna be a 12"  rl-p. i can adjust the thickness of the box an inch or 2.  but 1.5" between the pole vent and a surface is fine rite??

oh one more correction i meant to put 9.0" for the thicknesswhich will make it 2.02 cubes my bad.

Rl-p is 7" deep, so with 8.5" of depth, you will have ~ 0.75" of clearance (if the sub is top mounted). I would do at least 1.5".

Remember, you need to account for port displacement, and sub displacement as well :)

Rl-p is 7" deep, so with 8.5" of depth, you will have ~ 0.75" of clearance (if the sub is top mounted). I would do at least 1.5".

Remember, you need to account for port displacement, and sub displacement as well :)

really? i thot it was 6"... i guess i was wrong. so i make the box 10" thick which leaves it at 1.5" clearance. and maybe make an extra front piece inside of the enclosure to make it 2.15cubes. kool?

No room...you shure ?

Not quite... the wood needed for a slot port displaces much more than the 1/4" PVC does. As well, you need more port area in a slot port, than you will for a round port due to friction.

Having ports coming from two different planes will case mad cancellation. Keep the ports to one plane.

I didnt mean that the ports displace more, they just take up more room since they cant be custom fit to the enclosure.

really? i thot it was 6"... i guess i was wrong. so i make the box 10" thick which leaves it at 1.5" clearance. and maybe make an extra front piece inside of the enclosure to make it 2.15cubes. kool?

Double baffle ;)

yea there you go... illl just do that. hehe but everything else is cool rite?

Draw up a new one with the dimensions you have come up with. I'll check it again.

You are doing double baffle on the front correct?

If so... internal depth dimension of 8.5", not 7.75".

Now, with using the 8.5" internal depth, you have too much airspace, comes out to 2.362ft^3 now, and that will throw off your port length as well.

Using 7.75" depth, it is 2.111ft^3, and the port length is a little off (~0.25" if you are using an aeroport, 1.25" is you are not)