Gatorfooseball08

Fiberglass vs MDF Subwofer enclosures

Lately I've been looking into Fibeglass subwoofer enclosures and I'm just wondering if they function any differently then an MDF enclosure? I've done some research and wouldn't think it would affect the sound if it was properly constructed but alot of people online have said that MDF is the way to go. Is that just because MDF is so much easier to work with or does fiberglass really affect the output of the woofer? Also, after looking around the site alot of people here use fiberglass for speakers and midbass drivers but not many use it for Subs and that got me worrying about it too. If any of the Guru's here could shed some light on the subject it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

Cade

It will work, but you have to make sure it's VERY strong.

Making pods for smaller speakers is one thing, but a large sub with lots of power is a different monster. No air bubbles, lots and lots of layers, and even rope in between the fibergalss.

Yes, people use MDF because it's easier and MDF is better if glassing is not done correctly.

Is there a reason you want to glass? You can shape your box with MDF and make a beauty panel. Heck even make a beauty panel out of glass if you want. Are you trying to fit to a certain shape in your car for stealth?

It will work, but you have to make sure it's VERY strong.

Making pods for smaller speakers is one thing, but a large sub with lots of power is a different monster. No air bubbles, lots and lots of layers, and even rope in between the fibergalss.

Yes, people use MDF because it's easier and MDF is better if glassing is not done correctly.

Is there a reason you want to glass? You can shape your box with MDF and make a beauty panel. Heck even make a beauty panel out of glass if you want. Are you trying to fit to a certain shape in your car for stealth?

X2 ^ EVERYTHING he said. peepwall.gif+1.gif

LOTS and LOT of layers is definently the differance between a small tweeter or midwoofer pod and a sub enclosure. NO audible difference between the two materials.

I have a Crew Cab colorado and the plan for the box was to build a fiberglass enclosure and paint it so it would look nice sitting in the middle of the rear seat. Im gonna make it look like a center console and depending on final plans may remove the middle part of the seat and actually set the box down into the seat frame. I was gonna use Fibergalss because it gives you alot more flexibility on how your lines flow. If it is that much of a hassle I could use MDF but I'd never get the lines I want. Im not experienced with fiberglass boxes, everyone ive ever built was MDF but I wanted to try something different this summer when i have some time on the weekends and a steady income stream. there just aren't many options with these trucks and besides doing a blow thru, which ill think about later, this is the only one i really liked.

I vote you stick with your plans. I like my install to lOOk gOOd too. Fiberglass isn't that hard to do, You will pick it up quick. Make the 5 sides of the box out of mdf, shape the top 4 edges to your seat line and make a MDF ring for your speake size, support the ring from from the back side at the angle you want. Then wrap stetchy fleece over the ring and staple the edges along the top of the sides of your box until you like the shape. Then resin the fleece without any fiber mat and let that cure, Then proceed to build up 3-5 layers (depending on span) of fiberglass resin and mat until SOLID. Then use body filler (Bondo) to make the part you see all pretty before you paint or cover with vinyl.trink40.gif

There is a gOOd article/write-up in the feb/mar issue of Performance Auto and Sound mag. ,you should check out.smile.gif

Cool, that sounds nice and I would do what j-roadtatts said. Glass would sexy it up a little on top if you aimed the woofer. Go check out fiberglassforums.com and get some ideas. Pics are worth a 1000 words and there are plenty of projects on there.

I coated my last box in fiberglass on top of doubled up mdf, seemed to make stronger, harder at least. That box was pretty much indestructable with the top also getting a coat of truck liner haha. Weighed about 375 by itself, kind of a downside.