moriartii

Adding bass to 2010 Camaro

Hello all, as mentioned in my newbie intro I made my way here on recommendation while searching for a solution to add some bass to my 2010 Camaro. I wanted to post up and see what thoughts/suggestions others may have.

Here is my current set up:

2010 Camaro

- stock. No upgrages to electrical

- stock sound system which is the Boston Accoustics.

What I am wanting to do is add bass that is clean and tight. I do not want really to be noticed 20 feet away and I do not want the "excursion effect" where its all warbley and distorted. I typically listen to Rob Zombie, Godsmack, Rhianna, Lady Gaga, ect. No rap.

What I am looking at so far:

Subthump sealed mid size side drop in enclosure that fits a 10" woofer, has .08 cu feet

SSA ICON 10" sub

Sundown 125.2 amp

Given what I am looking to do:

Which configuration of sub would I get? 1 or 2 ohm coils?

is the 125.2 enough? It runs 400wrms bridged at 4ohms mono.

How would this be wired up? I looked at the wiring configuration but with the dual voice coils and the 400wrms at 4ohms rating on the amp I dont quite understand.

Thoughts and guidance is much appreciated.

Cheers

K

You could do a Dcon or Icon in that enclosure, the Dcon takes less power but the SAX-125.2 will push the Icon nicely even though it could take more power. How much power you put on it is up to you, there is no such as underpowering a subwoofer so either choice will do.

If you get the Icon then get the Dual 2 ohm voice coil configuration and wire it in series to a 4 ohm load:

1_2ohm_dvc_4ohm.gif

If you get the Dcon then get the Single 4 ohm voice coil and wire the + on the sub to the bridged + channel on the amp and the - on the sub to the bridged - on the amp.

Thank you Jay-cee. Exactly what I am looking for.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage wiring parallel versus series. Having a long forgotten electrical background I seem to want to stay with parallel.

Cheers

K

Yeah if you wire a D2 ohm subwoofer in parallel it will see a 1 ohm load (basically you have 2 sets of 2 ohm voice coils so added together they will drop down to one ohm). If you wire a D2 ohm subwoofer in series it will see a 4 ohm load (basically you have 2 sets of 2 ohh voice coils that will go up in ohms to 4 ohms).

The same for any Dual voice coil rating subwoofer, the numbers just change depending on the coil ohm load. If you want go to www.the12volt.com and click on the subwoofer wiring diagram and you can play with all the options.

Gotcha on the the series/parallel part. But is there any advantage from doing either one from a sonic/sub perspective?

Cheers

K

Moriartti!!! Welcome over brother!!

jay-cee hooked you up on the diagram, so I got here late! As to the adavantage to wiring in series vs parallel, in this case it's to match the impedence of the amplifier. Dual voice coil sub offer that extra bit of flexibilty, so if amp changes are made, sub changes made not always be necessary. Otherwise, no other advantage can be gained, without getting into competition and trying to draw out extra power.

The Dcon wouldn't be a bad choice either, as jay-cee pointed out. The ICON does offer the possiblity of stepping up in power later, and allowing an easier amp choice, due to the flexibilty of dual coils, and multiple wiring options.

Hang around a bit. There are some knowledgable people here, some asshats too, lol. But if you have any questions, you can be certain they'll get answered.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

just a note (great choices btw) the sax 125.2 puts out closer to 500wrms bridged

Yep it is all Mrray's fault he told me to come over here!!!!

LOL

Thanks Ray, I took a look around and some good info here. Most of it I dont understand. :)

Cool makes me feel better on the parallel/series thing, thanks guys.

One caveat tho, I talked to Steve at Subthump today and he suggested I go with the side enclosure versus the pass through since for a single 10 it would be too big. What happens if I step up to the ICON 12"? For what i am doing would that be too much and would the 125.2 work?

That passthrough i am speaking of is an enclosure that sits under the package try of the camaro and blocks the space in front of where you would fold the back seat down. I like this better since I could put my sub/amp all in one spot.

Cheers

K

The rms of the woofer does not change on the size of the sub, they are all rated at 1000 rms so yeah it will still work. Im not to familiar with those type of boxes so I would let someone else chime in on that.

Also check your personal messages, you have a pm from me.

Depends on the net volume of the pass thru. What are the specs?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Fits: 2010 5th Gen Camaro

Construction: 3/4" MDF

Approx. Empty Weight: 20lbs

Mounting Depth: 8.75"

Volume: 1.1 cu.ft ea. on dual box .7 cu.ft. ea. on triple box

Finish: Charcoal Gray Trunkliner Carpet. Very nice OE Match

Terminals: Installed

Sealed Box.

So what about 1.8 - 2.0 cu feet maybe? I am sure it could be chambered down.

K

•Sealed: .70 cu.ft.

•Sealed: .90 cu.ft. optimal

•Ported: 1.00 cu.ft. @ 27-33 hz

•Ported: 1.35 cu.ft. @ 27-33hz opt

Those are the recommended enclosure sizes, after all displacements. In the case of the ICON, the sub displaces .12 ft^2 . So you are looking for a box with a net displacement of .82 to 1.02 before sub, for sealed. Anything in that range will work, and with the Sundown pushing it, will sound awesome, and IMHO, get plenty loud.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Sealed Box.

K

Those are the recommended enclosure sizes, after all displacements. In the case of the ICON, the sub displaces .12 ft^2 . So you are looking for a box with a net displacement of .82 to 1.02 before sub, for sealed. Anything in that range will work, and with the Sundown pushing it, will sound awesome, and IMHO, get plenty loud.

Hey Kent, you didn't read. Those specs do look fine for the 12" though. 1 cuft will definitely work which is about where it'd be with the driver in the box.

Sealed Box.

K

Hey Kent, you didn't read. Those specs do look fine for the 12" though. 1 cuft will definitely work which is about where it'd be with the driver in the box.

Umm, lol, you didn't read. Those specs from SubThump are for a dual chamber, or triple chamber box, lol. Moriartti want a single sub setup, lol. Also, I didn't quote the SubThump specs, because I was just trying to give the OP the size he should be looking for. hehe And he might be going 12, if SubThump has a single sub pass thru location box in the right size.

neeneerneeneerneeneer!!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Strong A/B class amp at 4 ohm mono on a high excursion sub = yummy SQ set up. :)

Sealed Box.

K

Umm, lol, you didn't read. Those specs from SubThump are for a dual chamber, or triple chamber box, lol. Moriartti want a single sub setup, lol. Also, I didn't quote the SubThump specs, because I was just trying to give the OP the size he should be looking for. hehe And he might be going 12, if SubThump has a single sub pass thru location box in the right size.

neeneerneeneerneeneer!!!

Lol, 1.1cuft EACH it says. Which for a 12" is about perfect once you subtract the volume of the sub. Read again. :P

Sealed Box.

K

neeneerneeneerneeneer!!!

Lol, 1.1cuft EACH it says. Which for a 12" is about perfect once you subtract the volume of the sub. Read again. :P

No, lol, you read again, he wants one sub, those dimensions don't count :P harhar..

I will give you that that size enclosure would be perfect for a single 12, and it's something Moiartti is possibly leaning towards.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Huh, he posted specs for a dual box? I don't understand how that is for one sub. Adding a baffle and port?

Huh, he posted specs for a dual box? I don't understand how that is for one sub. Adding a baffle and port?

That should be THE best solution !

OP : think about it! You got room for a good ported box for an Icon 12 !

It's not, lol. The box specs he posted are 1.1ft^3 for dual, or .7ft^3 for triple. LMAO..told ya to read...hehehe yeah!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer: