Sign in to follow this  
cougarballa2k5

RL-p 15 in a too big box

Well, the 15s will be here yesterday and I haven't built a box yet. I've got a 4.8 cube NET @ 31hz box that was for my atlas 15...I was thinking of using it w/ one of the rl-p and running it at 500 rms since that is all I have available at the time.

How do the RL-ps react to a too big box? Will it be alright sounding or should I not even go through the trouble of rigging it up??

(Rigging it up consists of switching some amps around b/c I don't have an amp for the subs, I'd have to use my SoundStream which on the highs right now, then take my xtant 1.1i and bridge the fronts into 1 channel)

Max fudge around time of 2 hours, but j/w if it'll wang at all.

i would wait for a second opinion from Mike...but with only 500 watts i think that would be ok...that is a HUGE box though...did that Atlas need that much space?

had my rl-p 12 infinite baffle for a couple of weeks off 600 watts-sounded excellent.id say do the fudgeing........

Well, the 15s will be here yesterday and I haven't built a box yet.  I've got a 4.8 cube NET @ 31hz box that was for my atlas 15...I was thinking of using it w/ one of the rl-p and running it at 500 rms since that is all I have available at the time.

How do the RL-ps react to a too big box?  Will it be alright sounding or should I not even go through the trouble of rigging it up??

(Rigging it up consists of switching some amps around b/c I don't have an amp for the subs, I'd have to use my SoundStream which on the highs right now, then take my xtant 1.1i and bridge the fronts into 1 channel)

in fact i bet it sounds awesome...... :woot:

had my rl-p 12 infinite baffle for a couple of weeks off 600 watts-sounded excellent.id say do the fudgeing........
Well, the 15s will be here yesterday and I haven't built a box yet.

With 500 watts, it should perform adequately. For a flatter frequency response with comparable low-end extension, I would advocate 3.15 cu ft net volume vented @ 28 Hz. With the 4.8 cu ft net @ 31 Hz, you're lookin' at some peakage between 30-50 Hz (+5 dB @ 35 Hz). Go ahead and give it a shot since that's what you got - and be sure to let us know what you think :)

Well, the 15s will be here yesterday and I haven't built a box yet.  I've got a 4.8 cube NET @ 31hz box that was for my atlas 15...I was thinking of using it w/ one of the rl-p and running it at 500 rms since that is all I have available at the time.

How do the RL-ps react to a too big box?  Will it be alright sounding or should I not even go through the trouble of rigging it up??

yesterday??? :P

i'd say go for it w/ only 500w, you'll be ok.

for the two i'd say my personal favorite was the 6ft @ 31Hz. i ran 7ft for a little bit, but i thought it was too bottom heavy. 5ft was nice too, a little more musical than the other two.

Not sure I read what you wrote correctly but sounded as though you said you were going to play your fronts off of one channel. If that is the case then I vote against.

Its temporary, and why would it be a big deal? I just wouldn't have the ability for music to fade or anything. It may sound strange on some stuff though....but shouldn't be horrid or anything.

Jelly, that other $$ is soon to be there man. I ran into a buncha drama I'd rather not speak of, but gimme a day or two 'preciate it.

Mike, I'm gonna go ahead and try it :-p, and I'll be sure to report back.

Well, I do have a little tiny pioneer amp I could hook to the fronts.

Or I could run my soundstream in tri-mode. Supposedly it does that or some chit.

Alright.

My soundstream is rated

100 x 2 @ 4 Ohms

250 x 2 @ 2 Ohms

250 x 2 @ 1 Ohms

500 x 1 @ 4 Ohm Bridged

500 x 1 @ 2 Ohm Bridged.

Now, apparently it can run with the comps doing 100 x 2 @ 4 Ohms, AND have the 500x1 @ 2 ohm bridged at the same time. Tech guys says yes it will still get 500 to the sub and 100 to each speaker. Just seemed like it wouldn't deliver all that power IMO...but maybe he is right.

Only problem is I can only use the high pass filter in that mode, so I will need a coil in line with the woofer to take out those oogly highs. Either that or leave it playin everything, which duh will sound nasty.

So, any ideas are appreciated....right now its looking chitty and I'll have to wait until like the end of next week to have an amplifier :(:(, let alone a proper box.

Got one of em :-D, said the other could be on another truck, and I know one comes at like noon and one at 6 - 8. So, I better get that other tonight or I'll cry :-p.

TEST RESULTS ARE IN!!!

1 RLP 15

400 RMS

4.75 Cubes NET @ 32hz

55in^2 Port Area

Pretty dang loud, its all in the back of my sister's Saturn VUE right now. Her roof flexes enough to launch a water bottle and toss quarters 3 inches in the air.

Its not that great of an SPL vehicle, it just doesn't get loud. I've tested just about everything I've had in my car, in hers as well. Let me say, based on those experiences -- I have high, high hopes for these RL-ps :-D

:-D. Sucks I have to wait over a week to hear the setup finalized and how I want it.

Soooooo friggin ready.

Really, I could build the box and slang it all in a buddy's car. He has 4kw on tap :-D:-D:-D:-D