Sign in to follow this  
heckvr4

15" fi btl

ok i have a 15" fi btl with a sundown audio saz2000d.

i built a box (3/4 mdf) with 4.5cubes of air space after sub displacement. i have it tuned to 33hz,(slot port)

it sounds pretty good, i think , loudest sub i have ever own lol...

im just wondering if it wouldsound better if i seal off the port and add some round flared ports ??

any thougths ? ideas ?

sorry for the stupid question...

please sum help... should i leave my box alone ? build a new one ??

anyone...

Just leave it alone. If you put round ports in instead of the slot ports and tune it to the same frequency it would sound the exact same as it does now. I don't know why you would do that since there is no point or benefit.

the benefit would be a smaller box... no?

i could also put that round port any were i want. rigth now my port its pointing under my rear seats,

i need to fold my rear seats up to get better sound...

ill try to get some pics to see if anyboby can help me out with a better design on a box.

thanks for the reply thou, i have found that its kinda hard to geta response in this forum :P

If you would have put that information into your first post it would have helped. All you asked about were sound differences.

However, there should be very little change in box size unless you use aeroports and use less port area. 40 sq. inches of round port and 40 sq. inches of slot port will have the same length, and thus the same port displacement. The only difference is that with slot port you have a little extra displacement from the 3/4" board used to make the port. Will it make a difference? Maybe .2 cubes or something, definitely not something I'd make a whole new box for. But aeroports allow you to use perhaps 60-70% of the port area needed for a slot port, thus port length will be shorter and port volume lower. However, if this makes a large difference in overall box volume is dependant on the box you have, port area, tuning frequency, etc. You'll have to figure out the volume savings and if it's worth it to you. I didn't see you said flared round ports in your first post (and not even until halfway through this post) or else I would have mentioned the less port area needed and possible space savings. My bad.

cool , thanks for the confirmation....

i have an extra sheet of 3/4 MDF ... im just going to build a new box to try the aeroports out, im a ' see it to believe it' kinda guys... lol

thanks KU40

Sign in to follow this