alright, so how would you set up an amplifier to your H/U? thats my main question. if i post a picture of the amp i want, could you tell me what every thing means? i know what low pass is but everything else is confusing, and there is no gain on this amp, at least it isn't called "gain" AMP click that and go to the pictures.

so the gain is the LEVEL knob! notice how it goes from 9v-0.2volt!

the phase we normally leave that on 0

the bass knob we leave on 0 also as we don't need to boost any frequencys

the sub sonic we use IF we put the sub in a ported box! IE if your box is tuned to 30hz we set the sub sonic to 30hz and we are good to go

the sub sonic cuts off the the frequencys that your box can't play

and low pass you already know!

as for setting the gains you need a DMM (digital multi meter) and a 50hz tone.

play the tone

set volume to 3/4 max volume

unplug sub

plug in multi meter

set dmm to VAC

and get the number you wnat! the number you wnat depends on the wiring configureation and the amout of power you wnat the amp to output to the sub(s)

The phase is relative to your system and how it interacts with the other speakes and environment, so play around with it but most do leave it at Zero.

crazykenkid could you post a video? lol or pics of said items?

quick search i found this site. but you can just go to radio shack and get a 20$ one real quick that will work for this. they come in handy, if you dont have one :)

Digital Multimeters, DMM, Multimeter

alright so i read it and the person said to use a single tone to set the gain. do you use the tone that the sub is tuned to? I'm guessing i do but i want to double check.

the sub sonic we use IF we put the sub in a ported box! IE if your box is tuned to 30hz we set the sub sonic to 30hz and we are good to go

the sub sonic cuts off the the frequencys that your box can't play

so basically i set the sub sonic to 33 Hz since that is what im planning on tuning the box to. and it will make it so the sub doesn't hit frequencies that will hurt it. right?

Edited by WhatsCS

use a 50 hertz tone. and you can tune a little lower than 33, i say like 27 or 28.

use a 50 hertz tone. and you can tune a little lower than 33, i say like 27 or 28.

ok so i use the 50 Hz to set gain no matter what. then i set the sub filter to 27. how do i know it is at 27? do i count the clicks as i turn the nob or use the DMM?

Edited by WhatsCS

50 Hz. is standard for a sub-amplifier. You set the subsonic about 5 Hz. below tuning, use your reasoning to determine there that point is.

divide the max range of frequencies by the number of clicks and you get the change per click and get close to 27.

Note*

if its either like 29 or 25(between clicks), no in between i would go with the 29.

divide the max range of frequencies by the number of clicks and you get the change per click and get close to 27.

Note*

if its either like 29 or 25(between clicks), no in between i would go with the 29.

hmm ok. and could you check out my other topic? wire help.

so did we answer your questions? or is there something you don't get? if so please say it and i or someone else can help you out!!

and for setting the subsonic knob it is a bit of guess as we can't be 100% on the 29hz or 27hz or 33hz or which ever your BOX is tuned to/ so get it as close as possible!!!

i think that is it for now. i'll sleep on all of this information and decide if you answered everything. Thank You Everyone For Actually Answering My Questions!!!!!

I didnt know that you are suppose to set your subsonic within 5Hz of the box tuning.

So no matter what sub you have, and no matter if the specifications say sub handles 20hz-150Hz, you never set your amplifier to 20Hz?

nope. if your sub is advertised to play that frequency it would be crazy. thats getting a truckload into midbass. and you really dont need anything below 30 hertz anyways, most music doesnt go that low, so no point in trying to make your sub do it. cant go too far below your box frequency or else your sub will bottom out and break stuff or do bad things. thats never good.

Well I have my LPF at around 80Hz so thats good. Now about the subsonic, I thought 20Hz was good since its the lowest a person can hear, but recently I have experienced cases where the sub would seem to look like its trying to jump off the box lol and got kinda scare since burn smell came out.

So subsonic shouldnt be set at anything below 25hz.

I have meet some people that say they play let say 10Hz just to "feel it" . This could be considered something stupid to say and do because you are damaging the subwoofer at an incredible level for just doing that right? In other words, is there any purpose on playing anything below 25-30Hz? Whether it is for SQ or SPL?

turn a 10 hertz tone on your sub and it will play it, just not at a high level (hopefully) that is what the ssf is for, to prevent it form playing. every octave below your tuning there is a 12? db decrease in power, preventing any harm to the sub.

so you should def. think of adjusting yours. and no, no purpose for anything below thirty on daily music.

even if you get a 27 hertz tone there will be an audible nose, just not as much output as the 30 hertz tone. and even less the lower tone you go. same thing as your lpf, just on the different side of the sound spectrum of a sub

people can hear below 20 hertz, its person dependent :)

whats your box tuned to?

hope this isn't confusing, im tired... going to bed.

idk what my box is tuned for thats why I want to change it Im just not in the situation to do so right now. I bought it from an audio shop, and from what I remember the guy said it was optimized for Kicker CVRs (which is what I had before in that box).

I want a ported box to 32Hz, hopefully it will happen soon someday.

Right now my Sundown SSF is set close to 25Hz (almost the middle), but I think I will move that a little higher since I just found out thanks to this thread that <25hz is a no-no specially with a box god knows what it is tuned to.

Also, doesnt the low note peak on 25Hz on that song from Jeezy "Put On"?

Edited by slim142

i dunno. there are programs out there that show you the different frequencies of a song, i dont remember the name. i think shizzon can let you know what each song does, or at least where and how to figure it out for yourself.

Ok I pmed him.

Also fixed my subsonic in my 2000D just a couple hours ago.

Something new to learn every day :D

may find it on google before he sends you another message, or use the search feature on here and see where he has talked about it. ive read a couple posts on it

Dam lowest note is 27Hz.

So with a box tuned to 30Hz, set your SSF to 25Hz and thats more than enough to hit that note and enjoy that song to the max.

To set subsonic, download a test tone 5hz below your box's tuning, play it. Use it to determine the setting on the amp.

Edited by John Holmes