Sign in to follow this  
eggyhustles

What size ported for mb quart RWE-352

super small budget build...

sub is 99 bucks on woofersetc so i figured what the hell, there's a guy over on ca doing ported boxes for 30+ shipping so 130-150 for box and sub isn't too shabby....

3416.jpg

* Peak Power Handling: 1400 Watts

* RMS Power Handling: 700 Watts

* Frequency Response: 16 300

* Subwoofer Size: 15"

* Impedance: dual 2 ohms

* Dual Voice Coils

* Basket: Cast alloy basket

* Recommended Box 1 (Vb): 1.50 cu. ft. sealed

* Sensitivity: 1,6dB

* Cone Material: Treated paper diaphragm / Poly parabolic dustcap

* Former: Kapton

* Terminals: Gold binding posts

* Mounting Depth: 6 3/4"

says 1.50 sealed, so i figure about 2 cubes ported? maybe 2.25?

Edited by eggyhustles

Already had this one in WinISD so...

Even with 2.25 cu ft @ 32Hz, there's a 3dB peak centered at 65Hz...that'll take some serious EQ to get rid of unless you want the super peaky response. Devote that same space to a 2.5 sealed, and you're at the same F3 and a decent Qtc.

A 10 cu ft ported box makes a dead flat curve, so this is not a small- or even medium-box sub, which is why I passed on it. I was considering one or two (or the PWE version) for IB, though ;)

YIKES@ 10 cubes

Next best thing was the lethal injection

i hate having to tell people they have to up their budgets lol

One dude on DIYMA likes his in 1.9 sealed (each).

You'll need to locate a sub with a Qts around or under .3 for such a small vented box...that's the name of the game, unfortunately, unless you go to a 12".

why not get an IA sub from the store?

Already had this one in WinISD so...

Even with 2.25 cu ft @ 32Hz, there's a 3dB peak centered at 65Hz...that'll take some serious EQ to get rid of unless you want the super peaky response. Devote that same space to a 2.5 sealed, and you're at the same F3 and a decent Qtc.

A 10 cu ft ported box makes a dead flat curve, so this is not a small- or even medium-box sub, which is why I passed on it. I was considering one or two (or the PWE version) for IB, though ;)

:puzzled: do you even understand how calculating box works , post stuff like this when you understand what you're doing ! :noob:

:puzzled: do you even understand how calculating box works , post stuff like this when you understand what you're doing ! :noob:

I know how to use WinISD, don't worry.

It's a mid-Qts sub with a large Vas...how do you think it's going to model? It'll be a big box, of course.

It's a mid-Qts sub with a large Vas...how do you think it's going to model? It'll be a big box, of course.

there are very few 15" woofers that would be satisfied with 2cuft ported and hit the lows well .

however you did forget to take the gabin gain into account AND the Le filled in with the T/S, which would change the graph .

stuffing would partially take away the bump , all that results in something very different from what you're telling

this woofer could end up in a ported 3.5 cuft box and with an almost flat response in-car without EQ'íng but with the right fine-tuning .

The IA is a very nice sub though .

why not get an IA sub from the store?

we were trying to keep costs low

the 187 is pretty inexpensive. link

your not looking at the same power handling (not that its an important spec to begin with) but they might model better.

there are very few 15" woofers that would be satisfied with 2cuft ported and hit the lows well .

however you did forget to take the gabin gain into account AND the Le filled in with the T/S, which would change the graph .

stuffing would partially take away the bump , all that results in something very different from what you're telling

this woofer could end up in a ported 3.5 cuft box and with an almost flat response in-car without EQ'íng but with the right fine-tuning .

The IA is a very nice sub though .

That's exactly why WinISD gave such a big box. Few 12s would do well in a 2 cu ft ported box, even. I can name a couple off the top of my head like the Dcon and Dayton HO. MB's T/S specs don't list an Le, and I don't trust anyone but the maker with specs. I've seen sensitivities of subs be off by 8dB relative to another reseller's site.

I couldn't factor in cabin gain since the car wasn't mentioned. My car's is around 50Hz (awesome) so that's about all I know. Is it a truck? Hatch? Wagon? We don't know...

3.5 cu ft is well and good...if we knew how much space there was available (in preference or in the car)...