Sign in to follow this  
Smitty

Strange Distorted signal

Something funny has been going on with my sound system the past two weeks. I've been noticing that the bass from my subs and door speakers sound distorted . This is not all the time though, my system will sometimes sound perfectly clean and then go back to playing with the distorted signal again. My electrical is currently stock with 2 gauge wire, a capacitor and my sub amp is a sundown sa 125.2 which does get very hot. I have previosly blew all the fuses in my amp but they were replaced at a local shop. My voltage is usually bouncing around between 10 and 12 according to the meter on my cap. What do you think my problem is and how can I fix it?

i think u need to go buy a dmm and shut your sound system completely off from here on out until you can verify that your electrical system, your alternator and your starting battery are all in good working order before troubleshooting your sound any further.

i think u need to go buy a dmm and shut your sound system completely off from here on out until you can verify that your electrical system, your alternator and your starting battery are all in good working order before troubleshooting your sound any further.

Crap this doesnt sound good for me, what exactly is a dmm and could I just go by a shop and get them to check it out for me instead of buying 1 myself, thanks for the advice

if your voltage is dropping to 10 then that's f***** up, a dmm is a digital multimeter, you can buy one at lowes, homedepot, radioshack, etc. and don't get a cheap one or you'll regret it.

If your voltage is too low it can ruin your amp and its not good for your electrical. Once you get your dmm, disconnect the amp and test your voltage with your vehicle idling, Post the voltage and we can help you out more

good luck

p.s you may be able to go to a car shop and have them check your voltage, but you can buy a decent one for like $30

Edited by stefanhinote

A DMM is wise to have but it sounds like you should just head up to an auto store (like Auto Zone) and ask them to test your alternator and battery. Your battery and/or alternator are failing you if your dropping that low especially with only 500 watts at the most coming from your SAX-125.2

Alrite thanks for the info I think ill head up to auto zone and have them check everything out for me, hopefully I can get this all figured out, seems like my electrical is most likely culprit of all the other probblems i've experienced the past several months

Just stop playing it before you damage your amp or something else until you get it checked, hopefully it is nothing to serious.

Never was able to get it checked today out since it's easter sunday, but I got my dad to help me switch out the battery with a better one we had laying around in the garage just for the heck of it to see if It would help and now my voltage is back around 13 and sounds alot better. Thinking of making video of the Dcons later this week!

Never was able to get it checked today out since it's easter sunday, but I got my dad to help me switch out the battery with a better one we had laying around in the garage just for the heck of it to see if It would help and now my voltage is back around 13 and sounds alot better. Thinking of making video of the Dcons later this week!

Yeah I knew it had to be a bad battery or alternator, thats good you had a spare battery for it.