e5r0311

A lot has changed in car audio

I'm planning a system. So far, it's gonna be a havoc 12 with some sort of sundown powering it. Here's my issue: when it comes to ohms and all that other stuff, I'll admit I get a little confused. I was planning my system based on a simple premise: If amplifier A puts out X amount of watts at 2ohms, and you pair it with a 2ohm sub, you would get X amount of watts. Easy enough, right? Well now, I'm getting the impression that things go further than that. I had planned on getting a sundown 3500D amp, considering it puts out 1,750w at 2ohms. That with the 12" havoc 2ohm sub would be a nice fit, right? (AA states the havoc to be 1,250RMS and I could go easy on the amp power)

BUT

Now I'm reading about guys using Sundown 1500D amps with the havoc 12, and getting great results. So how is it that the 1500D is a 800w amp at 2ohms, but people are getting good results? I thought it was bad to under power a sub. Maybe I'm just missing something blatantly obvious, maybe not. The site said I have to post here first, so this is it. Do with it what you please.

:wavey5: , there is no such thing as under powering a sub. The only time it affects the subwoofer when you underpower it is when you try to turn the volume knob or gains higher then you should sending a dirty signal to the subwoofer, since your making the amp work harder and provide power it was not meant to.

...which can be achieved by getting a dual 2 ohm sub

See this is where I was lost. I was unaware you could do that. I like this place. I asked a question, and it was answered. Another question: How much are the 12" havocs? And the 15"?

Edited by e5r0311

You'll have to get a quote from a dealer.

Can I get a ballpark number? Are they around $200 each for 12's? $300?

Naw a dealer would be able to help you out more, get in contact with this dude (he is a dealer, send him a message):

BKOLFO4 - Viewing Profile

Welcome .... trink40.gif

You joined the best forum to get the answers you need!

Welcome

:WELCOME:

You didn't even mention your goals....

Still both companies make a quality product so I'm sure you'll be impressed.

:fart: ... ooops, sorry bout that ... :WELCOME: best of luck with your build ... Edited by Cablguy184