Since my local box builder seems to think he needs $270 to build my sub box I decided to tackle it myself. I have been reading up on box building when I came across a forum that suggested making a box panel that sandwiched a layer of cork inbetween 2 layers of mdf. Another suggestion was to use sand inbetween 2 layers. As the latter isn't feasible, I am interested in the cork option since it is fairly cheep. I understand that the cork is supposed to help dampen the box. Has anyone utilized this practice? Or are they blowing smoke? They also suggested using dynamat instead of cork, but that seems a bit pricey.

why would you need any of that?

I have never seen or heard of making a box, then putting cork on the box, then putting another sheet of wood on it..

I have seen and heard of putting sound deadener in/out of a box.. but i wouldn't do so.

why would you need any of that?

Hey bigjon, thanks for the quick reply. I was reading up on resonant frequency of enclosures. I am not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but I was under the assumption that the more an enclosure is acousticaly dead the flater the response of the speaker. I am talking about sealed enclosures so i am not sure if this would apply to ported boxes or not.

I have never seen or heard of making a box, then putting cork on the box, then putting another sheet of wood on it..

I have seen and heard of putting sound deadener in/out of a box.. but i wouldn't do so.

Lets say my box called for 1 inch mdf. Couldn't I just take (2) 1/2 inch and cork the middle?

Mostly for a cost effective measure

Edited by RaTtLz

It's totally unnecessary. Just construct it out of MDF and you'll be fine. You have these "audiophiles" with golden ears who do all the changes and the human ear rarely if ever picks up on them. They will show up on measuring devices, but aside from that, forget it. Just build it solid with a dense stable material of appropriate thickness and you're done.

Lets say my box called for 1 inch mdf. Couldn't I just take (2) 1/2 inch and cork the middle?

Why are you wanting to do this though? - Whats your goals dude?

Edited by BanginGMC

Why are you wanting to do this though? - Whats your goals dude?

Well this is my first box build and I am a little "ocd" when it comes to research. Gotta learn everything about boxes so I get the best possible box for my money. I also wanted that "oh wow" factor when I discuss my build or let people in for an audition. Thats about it. So, in summation, I would say my goals are best sound quality at the price I can afford while still having a cool "wow" factor. Knowing that a box is just a little piece of the sound quality equation. Gotta start somewhere.

3/4 MDF, Titebond 3, Screws, Router/Jig Saw, Sander, Snake Skin -- All you need for a sexy box.

Sick with sound deadener on your ride.. not box :fing34:

3/4 MDF, Titebond 3, Screws, Router/Jig Saw, Sander, Snake Skin -- All you need for a sexy box.

Sick with sound deadener on your ride.. not box :fing34:

Thanks Man! :drink40:

Cork.........Waste of time and money I.M.O.

Just make you cuts clean and straight, brace the corners (like you see in most people's enclosures), I'd use TiteBond 2 but whichever & glue it up nice, just take your time. If not, it'll show you rushed it.

minnesota

What's up cranberryyumyum? Yes I am from Minnesota, Ya sure You betcha :ehh:

Adequately bracing the inside will likely yield better results. I've never heard of cork being used.

If you're worried about resonance get some allthread and some nuts rather than wasting the time and money on corkboard and MDF and building a secondary enclosure.

But honestly unless you are trying to squeeze tenths of a decibel out of the enclosure and/or running an extremely high SPL system it's pretty unnecessary. The acoustics of the vehicle will completely swamp any possible effects of enclosure resonances of a well constructed enclosure made with appropriately thick material.

minnesota
What's up cranberryyumyum? Yes I am from Minnesota, Ya sure You betcha :ehh:

minneasota