CadillacMatt

Black chrome?

Anybody know anything 'bout plating?

In the future, I want to take the inside (everything but the lip) of my chrome alloy wheels and have it plated in black chrome... or possibly even painted black with a very durable clear? Anybody know if this is possible at all, and how much it might cost? Thanks :fing34:

No idea on the plating, but if you want a start, get a fresh set of emblems and some spray tint ;)

Hmm... don't follow you... new set of emblems?

Yeah you can get chrome painted any color, if they dont do it right it will look bad so make sure they know what they are doing. I dont know how much it will be since it will vary by area and the person/shop that is doing it. I had some friends in the past get that done before.

Hmm... don't follow you... new set of emblems?

You can "make" black chrome that way, since spray tint is somewhat clear. I figured you'd be doing your rims and want something else to match them :)

Anybody know anything 'bout plating?

In the future, I want to take the inside (everything but the lip) of my chrome alloy wheels and have it plated in black chrome... or possibly even painted black with a very durable clear? Anybody know if this is possible at all, and how much it might cost? Thanks :fing34:

You'll just have to strip off the current plating before rechroming or painting, quite simple in fact :)

I know you can get them power coated for around 250-350 a set.. but they cannot be plastic or anything that will melt in 500+ degrees..

Hmm... been doing a little reading on the internets, it seems people have had mixed success with painting them... like simply roughing up the chrome surface and applying a heavy build urethane primer, then spraying over it.

You don't have to strip chrome to paint it. Just prep the surface properly and use the proper materials. If you want the polished anodized look with black, take them to a body shop and have them sprayed with a translucent or "candy" black and then cleared. Make sure they use urethane with a flex additive.