Sign in to follow this  
black_cirrus

thinking about surround sound

I have really thinking about trying to run surround sound into my car but don't want to spend very much I want to keep my active 3way system I should be wiring this week, cross-overed in my deck I like my alpine 7998. What options do I have no cheap junk like pyle please

And the purpose of this would be ?

Because I can and want to.

Also 5.1 would be fine because to my observevation most dvds are 5.1 but speakers come in pairs and amps are 2-4 channels :D so 6.1 would be very little more work. 1 more speaker in rear deck and wire to amp.

my idea was to take the surround processor. direct to the rear speakers, and center speakers(s). use the aux. in, on the deck to control the front components. my main problem is subs to the deck or Y'ed into the sub rcas.

And the purpose of this would be ?

Because I can and want to.

Also 5.1 would be fine because to my observevation most dvds are 5.1 but speakers come in pairs and amps are 2-4 channels :D so 6.1 would be very little more work. 1 more speaker in rear deck and wire to amp.

The center channel (the 5th)speaker would go in the center of the dash in the front and you'll need a surround processor for the whole shebang. Why bother with 5.1 anyway? It is hard enought to get 2 channels imaged and staged correctly in a car, don't complicate things with extra sound that can't be utilized right in such a small space.

/$0.02

The center channel (the 5th)speaker would go in the center of the dash in the front and you'll need a surround processor for the whole shebang. Why bother with 5.1 anyway? It is hard enought to get 2 channels imaged and staged correctly in a car, don't complicate things with extra sound that can't be utilized right in such a small space.

/$0.02

for a front center speaker I could mold one in my dash or get a stand alone like this and putting in a rear center would be like putting in any rear speaker not factory. But all the alpine controls except the F1 is 5.1, Not sure on the F1 it may be 5.1 also.

And dvd-audio sounds better. the imaging thing may be an item to detour me but I think I can work it out.

5.1 can be done....but should it be done??

From my experience installing, imaging, tuning, my (former) 4-way active (non-5.1) system, setting up time alignment for each of those channels, setting up crossover points, equalization settings..... its a headache alone with just a STEREO (2 channel) setup.

Based on that alone, it should be enough to keep you away from doing a surround sound system (5.1/6.1) in-car. But you really opened up a can of worms here, and it brings up some interesting arguments...

Id really strongly suggest that if you find your current setup not to be "enough" for you.....Tune the heck out of your existing STEREO system. This includes fiddling with equalization, crossover points, time alignment, etc.. Also deadening, vibration isolation, etc.. Get your imaging spot on. Get everything else as great (not good) as possible.

You can still compromise.

Get a DVD-Audio or HDCD/SACD compatible headunit and try a stereo downmix, it still sounds better than regular audio CDs, and honestly, it should be enough to satisfy you... if your stereo system is truly set up properly and is accurate enough to reproduce whatever program material you throw at it. You will still get all the range and dynamics, you will still have the fidelity and quality of DVD Audio, and your only compromise is going to be the loss of surround channels.

Not convincing enough?? Ok consider this:

Even in home 5.1 the surrounds are underutilized. This isnt so much a truth in movies (although, the surrounds basically only play ambient noise and ocassional effects), but it definitely a factor is in 5.1 music.

I've personally listened to a good number of 5.1 audio (DVD Audio) and I can say, the quality is great, and even listening to a stereo downmix was enough for me. to be perfectly honest, there isnt that great a veriety of 5.1 material out there, and there are too few engineers and producers out there taking advantage of 5.1 and even more that try it and fail miserably by just placing instruments where they shouldnt be.

Think about it though, in no (natural) music performance situation do you sit in the middle of the band/orchestra. To me its a wierd sound, and although it works for movies, it really doesnt for music.

Again, along with that, actually putting together a capable 5.1 system in a car is a challenge that no man should ever take. It works (barely) in some cars, but as I said, your source material is really going to dictate what direction you should go in. If its movies, I'd say try, it might be fun for a while, but I doubt you are going to like all the work that is in store. Don't expect much happening in those rear channels except for noise and effects (IMHO, annoying while you are in a car, there is enough noise and effects OUTSIDE the vehicle), and dont even expect much happening even the fronts except for the occasional musical interlude, do expect your center channel to get a healthy workout with all that dialogue it will be playing.

If you want to do 5.1 for Audio, as I said, consider a stereo downmix. Its really all you need to notice a big difference in quality, and you won't have to deal with all the extra work of installing , tuning, tweaking, etc. all those other channels.

I still think in-car 5.1, is still in a stage of infancy, and we definitely need to wait for in-car 5.1 technology and products to (come down in price) catch up to in-home 5.1.

any suggestions on a dvd player that play dvd-a and pref. Sa-cd,s dvd movies also stand alone is okay. I think I will try to tune my system better before I do 5.1. but I do like the down mix idea.

what about a 3.1 just install a center speaker for movies. but on second thought my screens will not be centered so that would sound wierd unless I put a small speaker above each screen. You guys are right this could be more trouble than I thought. :Doh: