jsn0x

SSD 15 and RF Prime 1000 1-d

Howdy everyone. I have pretty limited experience with car audio and I was looking for some opinions on what I had in mind for my next build. (I just blew my old subs, not too sure how, but they were junk anyway.)

I was looking at the SSD 15". I'm going to make a custom box thats going to be right around 4 cubic feet after displacement and tuned to 33hz.

The amp I'm looking at is the Rockford Fosgate Prime R1000-1d. It's rated at 1000 watt RMS @ 2 ohms.

I was thinking I would go dual 1 ohm's and wire it up to 2 ohms.

Now would I have to add the flatwind coils since I would be putting it 200 watts over the RMS rating?

Any criticism/opinions welcome, thanks.

I would do the flatwind for the extra thermal power handling. Can you find out how your old subs blew? Thermal or mechanical failure?

I would do the flatwind for the extra thermal power handling. Can you find out how your old subs blew? Thermal or mechanical failure?

I'm not sure really, I was just driving around one day and the subs got quieter until they stopped working all together. When I stopped and popped the trunk there was smoke just pouring out of the box. I wasn't running them very loud and they were only playing for about 3 minutes that time. When I took them out of the box, one of the leads on one of the coils was broken and the wire fell out of it so that speaker was only getting juice to 1 coil.

I'm not sure really, I was just driving around one day and the subs got quieter until they stopped working all together. When I stopped and popped the trunk there was smoke just pouring out of the box. I wasn't running them very loud and they were only playing for about 3 minutes that time. When I took them out of the box, one of the leads on one of the coils was broken and the wire fell out of it so that speaker was only getting juice to 1 coil.

Same thing happened to my mofo 152x but i assumed it blew because of the cheapness of it!

That'd be thermal failure, I'd get flatwind coil and BP power.