gadgeteer123

15" xcon not good at upper bass??

You could take up some of the space inside the box. Lowering net volume while keeping port dimensions the same would raise tuning frequency.

so I could just put a few peices of wood in there and it will raise my tuning?? if so, could anyone tell me what I would need to do to raise it to 31-33hz? how many peices.

I was thinking, and the ports on the inside of the box, that you can see in the corners in the picture below, what if you just cut of 2"-3" off of that part of the port? would this work?

100_0386.jpg

Edited by Small Town Audiophile

Someone just did that with 2x4s i believe.. or is going too do so.

I think i will try putting something in there to see how tuning it higher sounds and if it sounds better, I will pay audible customs to adjust the tuning of the box to 31-32hz, because I need to send it to him anyways because there is a tiny tiny leak, but hes paying for all the shipping :) So should I do that?

damn dude..you complain about everything smh.

you really aren't gonna notice a difference between 29 and 31.

well what should I tune it to for me to have a clean response between 35hz-90hz?

no clue..im a noob just like you

i have mine low passed @ 63 since i have 8's in the door that can dig low.

MIDBASS.

u want it to roll off @ 35? why did u tune so low then?

Should've got a box built with aero ports to change tuning

Ya but I like the style of slot ports and I didn't think 29hz would make that much of a difference. My last 15" was tuned to 32hz and it could go up to 100hz easily.

It shouldn't be playing up that high anyway

Front stage is the problem..not the sub.

but I like the intensity of the mids on the sub and I had it crossovered with my old sub at 80hz with a 12db slope and it had great response down to 40hz

Besides making sure you've got the polarity right between the subs and midbasses, I agree that the low end of the sub is overpowering the midbass.

I've got my 15" Xcon in a 4cf box @ ~37hz, and if it was in a bigger sedan it'd be great, but in my NX2000, it's still a bit low end heavy.

Try putting wood or styrofoam into the box and see what happens.

I put 1 one gallon paint can and 4 one quart paint cans inside the box to test how it sounds and it does sound better, the drums actually make my mirror move now. I have no clue what it is tuned to, how would I figure out how much space those 5 cans are taking up??

Ya but I like the style of slot ports and I didn't think 29hz would make that much of a difference. My last 15" was tuned to 32hz and it could go up to 100hz easily.

I'm not sure how you knew it played up to 100hz. Did you have an RTA?

Andrew

Measure the volume of the cans and convert that into cubic feet, that should tell you how much extra displacement is in your enclosure. Do you have the actual specs of your enclosure to do some math to calculate your current tuning with the added paint cans.

I think 5^3ft would be a lil to big.

Do you make subwoofers and test them? That's directly from the SSA XCON page.

but I like the intensity of the mids on the sub and I had it crossovered with my old sub at 80hz with a 12db slope and it had great response down to 40hz

That's just it. I wouldn't buy a SUBwoofer that could only play well down to 40 hz. Different subs are made differently and thus play different frequencies differently. The Xcon is made to be a subwoofer, not a midbass. Also, I would imagine that the midbass frequencies are just fine from the Xcon, it's just that the box is making them quieter because of the exaggerated low end. If you isolate the midbass frequencies and send adequate power to it, I'm sure you'll find the lower midbass just fine from the xcon.

I put 1 one gallon paint can and 4 one quart paint cans inside the box to test how it sounds and it does sound better, the drums actually make my mirror move now. I have no clue what it is tuned to, how would I figure out how much space those 5 cans are taking up??

Did you take math in high school? Volume of a cylinder is area of circle * height. AKA: pi*r^2 * height..

You have a nice box, well built to specs.

You have enough power to run a FANTASTIC sub.

What do you use for front speakers? Are they good enough, are they installed right ?

Your problem is not the bass. Listen to the mods.

My rearview mirror can't stay on the windshield no more!!!

My xcon is amazing. The LPF is set at 80 hz , but my front stage is "serious".

After you mess with the box for a higher tuning you'll be missing the lows. You might as well buy two 8's, it's like saying you're missing the lows without having a sub lol.