SexySoundLab

SAZ-3500D Protect Mode

I have had my 3500D installed for a while now and its great however when I really crank it up full tilt on music after maybe 20 mins. it will sometimes go into protect. I had a 300 amp circuit breaker hooked up next to it up until today when I switched it out for a 300 amp ANL fuse. I had a problem with the circuit breaker tripping when turned to full tilt also, I think due to extreme vibrations. After replacing the circuit breaker I found it still went into protect once today. I have 2 165ah batteries next to the 3500D and a optima yellowtop under the hood, but I'm still running the factory alternator which I plan to upgrade soon. I have a digital gauge mounted on the dash so I'm positive the voltage never drops bellow 13 volts. I guess my question is, is it because my alternator isn't providing enough amperage or what else could it possibly be? Thanks!

Is there enough air movement going on? I know in the summer my 125.2 will go into protect after about 45min of some serious beating, until i put my fan in. Is it hot when it is in protect? GL with troubleshooting!!

Nope one thing I love about this amp is it never gets very hot just a little warmth. This will be my first summer running Sundown though so fans may be necessary soon. My previous Lanzar OptiDrive Plus 500 amp would over heat like crazy seriously I could cook on it, of coarse it was being over worked pushing around 1500 watts to my 4000 watts RMS subs.

I should probably add that I am running a 1 ohm load as suggested by Jacob.

Nope one thing I love about this amp is it never gets very hot just a little warmth. This will be my first summer running Sundown though so fans may be necessary soon. My previous Lanzar OptiDrive Plus 500 amp would over heat like crazy seriously I could cook on it, of coarse it was being over worked pushing around 1500 watts to my 4000 watts RMS subs.

I should probably add that I am running a 1 ohm load as suggested by Jacob.

Sounds like you are clipping it out. Try backing off the gain alittle.

You may need to back the gain down - the 3500D gain is more sensitive than the other SAZ models and requites a bit less gain for the same output. It will protect with too much input signal for a given gain setting.

I think it's around 3/4 of the way up maybe a little less these subs are power hungry. I'll play around with the gain and see if I can get the same output with less gain. I don't hear any clipping though.

It doesnt matter if the subwoofers are power hungry, you can only give out how much power the amp has available. I also see that you are running your amp's gain setting too high especially if you have a headunit with 5volt preouts so it sounds like you may be clipping your amplifier. Turn your gain down like stated above, the gain is used to match the output voltage from your headunit (its not a volume controller).

3/4 gain on 5v pre-out = WAY too high.

holy gain settings batman turn that down! lol

lol... ok thanks! Guess I should have waited for the 4500D. I turned it down it was about half way up now its a little under half way... Should I turn it down even lower?

Edited by SexySoundLab

I would like to use a AC voltmeter to determine if clipping is the issue since I do not hear the clipping. Can I get the voltage just before clipping at a 1 ohm load?

I think it's around 3/4 of the way up maybe a little less these subs are power hungry. I'll play around with the gain and see if I can get the same output with less gain. I don't hear any clipping though.

:orly3:

Protip:

Gain knob is NOT a volume control

Thats already been established. I never said it was neither I just set the amp by ear like I have been doing for over 15 years I know what clipping sounds like and I have not heard any clipping, but I'm willing to accept that maybe my hearing is going bad and I need to do it with a voltmeter so can I just get the question at hand answered? Thanks!

Edited by SexySoundLab