Sign in to follow this  
CZBrian

zed minilith...

mr mantz or anyone, could a copy of the letter sent out regarding the minilith be posted here? i would like to hear the whole story regarding the 1 ohm issue with these amps.

Guest STEPHEN M

Well guys the whole story is simple. I had 2 customers who had 1 ohm loads and on further investigation these 1 ohm loads turned out to be lower than 1 ohm. I prefer notname the speakers as that is not good form.

I have many other customers who are running 1 ohm and they have no problems.

Unfortunately the bad stories seem to be told but all the good ones are NEVER heard

There is no question that the Minilith dissipates about 2-3 times the heat into a 1 ohm load as compared to a 2 ohm load and the difference in absolute power is 1.37dB.

For SPL contests the amp works fine for those 3 second bursts.

In a normal car for listening to music, why would one stress the components for 1.37dB of sound pressure?

Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions you may have

E-mail Zedaudio@aol.com

Stephen Mantz

Zed Audio

so for people that have a pair of dvc 4 ohm subs or one dvc 2 ohm sub, are yall recommending not purchasing this amp? is there a way to tell which subs might not work such as looking out for subs with a lower than usual Re (dcr)?

DCR means squat. There is one hell of a thread brewing about this over on Soundillusions.net

I would also like to hear the real story.

They are saying, why the hell is the amp rated for 1 ohm is it isn't stable. No one posted the letter you sent out so I didn't want to get involved. But I would surely like to get the truth behind this story and set it straight over there.

Some Dual 2ohms subs have VCs that are not quite 2 ohms thus when you bridge them, you dip below 1ohm. I've been told this can be real issue with subs that have cheaper VCs. The Minilith is rated for 1ohm and the problems were reported when the amp runs BELOW 1ohm. Dont see much of an issue.

I had a 2ohm stable amp that was overheating and the first thing the tech support engy did was have my stick a DMM on my sub box to see if it was below 2ohms. I was then informed of issues with some VCs performing below rated impdences.

I don't buy this voicecoil crap unless you have a defect and the subs read like 0.5ohms instead of 1 ohm. But even then, a 1ohm stable amp should do fine with a 0.7-1.0ohm rating on music.

Stephen, please clear this up. I am only hearing from people that don't know anything about the situation. If it's a production hickup, then state it as that....better then having all this chit go around on the net.

I don't buy this voicecoil crap unless you have a defect and the subs read like 0.5ohms instead of 1 ohm. But even then, a 1ohm stable amp should do fine with a 0.7-1.0ohm rating on music.

I and many others *DO* buy it. You are basically saying Mr. Mantz has not been straight with people, when just the opposite is true. In my opinion, he has been far TOO forthcoming. Amps BLOW ALL THE TIME. Do you see any other companies spending the time to actually test the speakers invovled and find out they were defective. No, you don't. Mr. Mantz seems to be more of an engineer than a shyster or marketing expert. In a situation like this, that is not perhaps a good thing.

Stephen, please clear this up. I am only hearing from people that don't know anything about the situation. If it's a production hickup, then state it as that....better then having all this chit go around on the net.

He has already cleared this up. You just don't belive him, and want him to say there is something wrong with the amps involved. The guy has been making amps recognized as some of the best car amps in the world for decades. Do you really think he is going to start making something that's junk? The answer is no.

"All this chit go around on the net." There have been 2-3 threads, with most people taking my point of view: Zed Audio has been honest about this, Zed Audio has always made great amps, and this situation has made me even more confident in Zed's products. :fing34:

So you ignore the VC crap yet Stephen stated it to be the issue and I've had another amp manufacturer (who also makes subs) point to it as a possible problem for an issue I was having. That tells me it is an issue that can effect an amp's performance. If the amp is 1ohm stable yet the subs go below rated impedence for too long, the amp is going to go into protection as it should. Not the amps fault. :boo:

Guest STEPHEN M

Guest STEPHEN M

Dear DBERIC,

If you have not done the testing that I have then do not comment. If you have something valid to add willing to listen and learn.

I have many customers who are running their Miniliths into 1 ohm loads with NO problems. I had 2 instances where I determined that the VC impedance was well below 1 ohm.

Stephen Mantz

Just to set this straight, I am all for oyu and Zed Audio. I just kept reading these horrible threads that were just bashing on you and the minilith and wanted to hear the real story or get an actual copy of the letter you sent out.

People made it sound like there were a bunch of miniliths which had trouble with 1ohm loads, now you say there were 2 cases well now that makes a bit more sence. This thread is old....all I wanted, like others, was an explanation from you.

When you say there were 2 cases and not a hand full then I beleive the story of DCR resistance being too long on certain subwoofers. So I apologize if I seemed hasty with some comments.

Guest STEPHEN M

Well guys the good news is that the Minilith 1 ohm issue is now over. I have made a small change to the amplifiers and they are now just fine at 1 ohm, no heat just music

Stephen Mantz

Zed Audio

9/26/05

OK so I was considering this amp heavily but wasn't sure of useing it at 1 ohm because I want an amp that will last for 10 years of normal daily use. This changed my sub options but if all is well I might go ahead with a 1 ohm load.