Sign in to follow this  
RaTtLz

Amp gain setting

O.k. I will be hooking up my amp (soundstream 2000w monoblock) to my factory h/u via a PAC audio plug-n-play (c2a-chy) harness. The rca voltage isn't fixed and will be adjusted as the radio vol. is increased up to 5 volts. My question is, in order to set the gains on my amp, do I just set by ear with a test tone or get a line driver and have that fixed voltage to set my gain with a dmm. My amp has a range of 300mV-5V max. Thanks guys :drink40: !

No preamp level signal is a "fixed voltage". That is how the volume level is adjusted; as the volume increases, the voltage of the signal increases.

You can just use your preferred method of gain adjustment with the PAC convertor, no reason to buy anything additional.

No preamp level signal is a "fixed voltage". That is how the volume level is adjusted; as the volume increases, the voltage of the signal increases.

You can just use your preferred method of gain adjustment with the PAC convertor, no reason to buy anything additional.

Alright impious, thats kind of what I was thinking. So for example, take eclipse, they claim an 8 volt preout. what they are saying is that is the max voltage the h/u can attain so set an amp to that?

Preamp output voltage is ideally the maximum output voltage (without clipping) that the unit is capable of producing.

Where you set your gain is dependent upon several factors. It's best to set it by ear or if you are unsure or uncomfortable trying to set it completely by ear, follow the "DMM Method" to get you in the ballpark and then make final adjustments by ear.

RaTtLz, What kind of amp is that in your avatar?

SoundStream Tarantula, what model??

RaTtLz, What kind of amp is that in your avatar?

SoundStream Tarantula, what model??

As far as I know, there is no model number just Tarantula monoblock. I believe they were produced in either 2003 or 2006. Im not getting mine till tomorrow from fed-ex. I downloaded the user manual and there is no model number on there either.

Edit to add: there are pics in my "patiently waiting" post in the amp section along with the specs on the unit :fing34:

Oh and thanks Impious for the explanation :drink40:

Edited by RaTtLz