Tirefryr

Need some opinions.

Well as most of you know, I will be attending school here shortly.

I'm in NW Indiana, school is in Nashville, TN. I don't want to take my car down there atall. I also don't want to have it just sitting up here for more than a year. I was going to get a student loan to cover the remaining $5K I owe on the car. Anyways, what would you guys do?

I'm thinking of selling it and getting a new Scion. I want something economical with a warranty that I won't really have to do any maintenance on. I don't really WANT to sell it, but I'm thinking this is my best option. I hate to take even more money out on a loan and buy another used vehicle with no real idea on it's condition.

I figure I can sell the car for $12.5K That leaves me $7.5K to play with which will bump my student loan up $2.5K, but it also nets me a brand new vehicle with a warranty that gets 30+mpg. I'm thinking this is the way to go.

Sacrifices must be made, but it's difficult. Others previously in this situation, I'd appreciate your input!

:fing34:

I'd jump on the economy cars ... gas prices aren't going to go down. Those cars are super cheap, warranty is awesome ... starting to come around in the aesthetic department too.

Sell the car, loose / decrease the loans ... loans = chit.

I don't know if getting a new car is necessarily best, but a used economy car with a couple years of warranty left would probably be significantly cheaper ... I know some dealerships around here will even allow you to add on an extended warranty even if you didn't originally purchase the vehicle ...

Just a thought ...

I figure I'll only need a loan for $7K for a brand new vehicle, so why not. That way I am SURE nothing is wrong with it short of a recall. I suppose I could take the $7K cash and find something good used, but there will always be that question of dependability in relation to it's history. Hell, I don't know.

I agree with the above about looking at a good dependable used car. Personally I would keep the cobra but that is just me. I am that type of person.

Have you lookad at any of the used Honda, Nissan, Toyota, or Hundi vehicles in your area? Maybe even look into a Used Tacoma? I dont know if your a truck person but a used prerunner tacome would be cheap insurance wise and get you close to 30mpg (20/27hwy). They are also cheap and last for ever. Just a thought. Maybe you could keep the cobra that way.

In all reality its up to you, I know you know this. Get something that fits your needs and that is in your budget. Most of all get something that you can be happy with for a while so you wont have the debt.

Did you just say Hyundai ? LOL

Insurance is also a big deal. Thanks for the though. I will NOT get a truck, no matter the make or model. I am not a truck person at all.

I don't know what to do. I have very little time to get all this done. I would at best be $7500 extra in debt and have a brand new vehicle. I figure that is really tough to beat, especially considering the traveling. Once I graduate and move on to the BMW STEP program (fingers crossed), that takes me into Aaron's territory (Columbia, MD). I will be doing quite a bit of traveling and want to basically have a problem free car for the next 2 years.

Insurance is also a big deal.

if you're gonna get a scion, then the tC is the only one i'd pick.

got one at home, not too shabby of a car. it is kinda small though, my head touches the roof if i dont lean the chair back pretty far. gas mileage is decent, although it has a pretty small tank.

My vote is for an old school Austin mini cooper.

The newer VWs have had a horrendous track record as far as quality control is concerned ...

I wasn't confused by your misspelling, I was confused because Hyundai shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Honda and Toyota when discussing dependable vehicles ...

The newer VWs have had a horrendous track record as far as quality control is concerned ...

I wasn't confused by your misspelling, I was confused because Hyundai shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Honda and Toyota when discussing dependable vehicles ...

I have not read about any problems with the new VW's other then the SUV one...I forgot the name.

Hyundai is cheap, and has the 10 year 100k warranty. I agree that they are not on the same playing field as honda or toyota but again, cheap, with a great warranty. He only has 1.5-2 years of school. By that time he mentioned that he would be looking into something else.

My last opinion. Around here (Dallas) used BMW cars are going for fairly cheap. ~15k for a lightly used 3 series with <50k miles. Just another thought.

$0.02

I'm gonna shed a tear for the Stang.

Other then that... you're on the right track Ryan. Though I would advise getting a "used" vehicle. By used I mean an 05 / 06 vehicle with >300 miles on it. In NYS, any vehicle with >300 miles = used.

Another tidbit, alot of Acura / Honda dealers around here use 1 car of each model for test drives. Meaning that one car may have 1-400 "rough miles" on it, but will still be a brand new ('06) car for an '05 price.

The scion is a good deal IMO, my Cousin just picked one up a few weeks ago. Sporty enough for the price, the warranty is impressive, and it's still a 'Yota. Oh, he picked up a tC.

Keep in mind, You have to look at getting through school and all of it's associated costs... shaving Your monthly expendatures now is a wise idea. Picking up a car that'll cost You less (over 4-6 years) then the Stang will (in gas, insurance, maintenance/accessories) is a huge idea.

I'm also for the Honda - much as You may not like it, they are worth the extra few Thou (unless You get a certified '04 - '05) and are kick ass in maintenance.

-Nick

three words....

old skool beetle!! totally reliable, cheap (even if u have to repair them) can be made fast as hell (for what they are), will drive thru anything and are just cool.

otherwise, the early vw tourags had some issues, but i believe those are fixed. but that's too much money anyway (the v10TD version would be so sweet!!)

get the Prius...u want economy. they are much improved over earlier versions, including more power and mileage (IIRC) and by being a hybrid, u should get a big insurance break....

but i agree with nick and steve. u'll shed a tear, but in the long run be better off. besides, mustangs and cobras are a dime a dozen anyway...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I'm looking at the xB. The price is right and it has the most cargo room. Very important!! Not worried atall about sportiness; it's an economy car and that's exactly what I'm looking at.

I've searched for demos and loaners and I really haven't found any worth buying. Rules that out at the moment.

As far as the Cobra is concerned, it's surprisingly well on all the aspects except room. It get's 20mpg in the city and on the occasional highway romp, I've achieved a high of 32mpg. Can't complain about that. Maintenance has practically been nothing. Change the plugs every year and oil when needed. There's $50 and a couple hours of time. CHEAP in my book. It does need tires, but 17" tires are super-cheap nowadays. I just don't want to have to put the mileage on it and have it sitting in a parking lot unattended, and open to the elements. Add into that, the fact that it does have 45K on it and anything may take a $hit whenever it wants. Damn domestics!

I just want something where I'll have ZERO maintenance (aside from routine oil and filter changes) and will be under warranty for the next two years that gets exceptional around-town milage. The Scion seems to fit the bill perfectly.

I was going to go test drive one today and check it out, but it's raining. Poo.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

And whoever mentioned the Bimmer, I'm going to wait on that. I have something up my sleeve for a couple years down the road hopefully.

I have not read about any problems with the new VW's other then the SUV one...I forgot the name.

Hyundai is cheap, and has the 10 year 100k warranty. I agree that they are not on the same playing field as honda or toyota but again, cheap, with a great warranty. He only has 1.5-2 years of school. By that time he mentioned that he would be looking into something else.

My last opinion. Around here (Dallas) used BMW cars are going for fairly cheap. ~15k for a lightly used 3 series with <50k miles. Just another thought.

Just because it has a 10-year warranty, it doesn't make it good. They are also the most stringent company I've ever seen when it comes to warranties (my local dealer, at least) ... My best friend's mom's 2002 Elantra started rusting last year ... so, you'd think it would be covered under warranty, right ? Nope ... Why ? They claim it's because she scratched the paint, so they refused to cover it under warranty. She has an ongoing problem with the Check Engine light coming on and her car suddenly losing power. She has brought the car in numerous times (at least a dozen) and it stops doing it for maybe a month or two and then starts doing it again. Sadly, I could also recite several other cases with Hyundais as well.

Hyundai's 10-year warranty sure as hell wouldn't give me peace of mind considering my personal experience and some of the stories I've read online ... Though it appears to vary dealer-to-dealer ... My Hyundai dealer = chit ...

Pretty much all the new VWs have had serious quality control problems, not just the Touraeg/Cayenne ... The New Beetle was listed as one of Consumer Reports's 5 most problematic cars this year.

Jame's is mostly right...

VDubbs have been in & out of the doghouse for a few years...

Hyundai is all bad. Warranty or not - they have lots of recurrent probs.

As far as the Xb... heard plenty of good about it and almost ZERo bad insofar.

I understand the Stang is cheap and reliable insofar. But the econo cars are generally cheaper and more reliable.

You're prolly well aware, but in case:

Assuming a commute of 10miles daily (M-F) @ $2/gal:

16 gal tank @ 20mpg = 10 miles per dollar

16 gal tank @ 40mpg = 20 miles per dollar

Commute each day for $1 or $2? LOL