Frostedflakejake

More Sundown Issues Unfortunately

Been talking with the customer and he tested the coils and they seem to be good, but I have asked him to find another amp somehow, even if it's a flea market special to put into the system to test to make sure everything works fine so we can rule out install issues. It may just be a "lemon" amp, won't know till everything is said and done. That's what sucks about being in this business, even though it was working fine here, as soon as it gets back to the customer, problems again, and not sure where to put the blame. I've had customers send me amplifiers back 3-5 times before finding the problem either within the amp or the install. Sometimes it just happens. Must be a "luck" thing, and sounds like this guy has had some pretty bad luck getting his install done/working other than the Sundown amp problem, so maybe just bad luck. If it turns out to be the amp, since I don't have anymore SAZ-3000D's, I will offer him an upgrade to a SAZ-3500D, but refund is out of the question, the amp was purchased in October 2009.

Just got word from the customer that he found the problem, his speaker terminal in his box was bent and definately shorted the speaker wires together....

You guys are right about buying a refurbished product, i should expect such problems.

I understand that other shops that do so-called "Refurbishing" DO SUCK and I have seen their work so I know first hand, but we don't do that kind of work, and I think, although not required, after finding the speaker wire short, I would like an apology....

Just got word from the customer that he found the problem, his speaker terminal in his box was bent and definately shorted the speaker wires together....

Wow. Glad he got it resolved.

Wow. Glad he got it resolved.

Yeah, he said he was going to find another amp to test it with just to be sure, butt from what he told me, I am 100% sure the problem was his shorted speaker wires, he took the woofer out of the box and checked it, but did not check the terminal that was installed on the box itself, and that's where it was shorted.... I am glad he found the problem too, I hate doing warranty work, that's why I try my best to make sure it's right before we ever send it out, so it doesn't come back. We will fix it for him under warranty this time, again, but needless to say, I am a little frustrated by the whole situation, if I could be there everytime a customer installs one of my amps, I would make SURE they check everything before turning it on, but I just can't be there, so I have to rely on the customer and their "experience" or the experience of their installer, and we all know how that goes....

Yup! Chris and db-r are some great guys that are able to put up with ignorant and frustrated people (like me). Definitely a good company to do business with! And i would love to buy a sax125.2 off of them! Hopefully they will still be around at db-r when i get the cash! :woot: for chris helping me out!

Yup! Chris and db-r are some great guys that are able to put up with ignorant and frustrated people (like me). Definitely a good company to do business with! And i would love to buy a sax125.2 off of them! Hopefully they will still be around at db-r when i get the cash! :woot: for chris helping me out!

They will be, new or refurbished. We sell alot of refurbished Class D amps. Most people will spend the cash for a new SAX-125.2 etc, rather than only save a few bucks (like $20-$40 difference is all) buying a refurb, but on the class D amps, the percentage of the difference in price is about the same, but the $$$ is much more for new than refurbished, in some cases hundreds of dollars difference so we sell ALOT of the class D amps, especially the big ones. Be sure to pack it back up well when you ship it back in so it doesn't get the RCA's broken off or speaker terminals sheared off etc...

I shipped it out using the same foam and stuff that i got it in. Hopefully it's sufficient! The only thing is the box is getting rather worn, so i used quite a bit of tape. But all should be well! Thanks!

This thread seems like a great testament to the quality, patience, and customer service of DB-R. Also goes to show that even though you think the problem is one thing, you should always make sure that your entire system is in working order before turning it on, especially on a brand new install. I'm surprised they're going to warranty it again for free when it is obviously your fault. I'd consider yourself lucky. I also think an apology would be in order for questioning that the amp was even tested, and insinuating that he sold you a bad amp in the first place. That's what this guy does for a living, I would hope that he would take precautions, and make sure everything works before it goes out the door, and obviously he does.

Just got word from the customer that he found the problem, his speaker terminal in his box was bent and definitely shorted the speaker wires together....

So just a shorted wire broke the whole amp and it must be shipped back for repair? Isn't there a protection against shorts?

I am asking because I want to learn. Soon I may be installing an amp and I must know that kind of things. There is short protection and still the amp is not working now?

There is short circuit protection - but protect is not a 100% guarantee against damage.