matthewkchalmers

I am going to jump off a cliff!

For starters I my name is Matt, I use to have an account on here but I am guessing from the cause of inactivity my account was deleted. I haven't been on here in quite sometime. Probably almost, I don't know to to be honest. I wanted to seek help from all of you from SSA Forums, because I bought 2 12" D2 SSA XCONS, and 2 sundown audio 1500d's almost a year ago. I wanted to bebuild my box for the subs, and I wanted to ask from you guys a little help, lessons, and knowledge from you guys. I am not a pro at car audio nor audio in general. In all honesty, I am an idiot, but I like learning about anything and everything. I have had systems in the past, but what made me buy these XCONs was that I was tired of systems that didn't impress me. I found the XCONs by total accident, and I just said **** it and took a chance cause I saw all the good things about them being said on here and I was like hell i'll give them a shot. I love bass, and boy did they bring it to my ears, my car, my body, pretty much everything in my car and somewhat out of my car lol. I am going to go with the basic design that SSA offers for the dual enclosure ported, I just need to know what all supplies i'll need to be building this correctly, and maybe some tips that you guys might want to share.

Any questions that you guys might have for me, for you to be able to help me, I'll do my best to answer them. I also say in advance thank you lol.

Edited by LuckyChalmz

Read and research is about the only tip I can think of right now.

There are a bunch of articles on here that have been done regarding Xcons.

Common list of recommended tools and alternatives-

Table saw (or circular saw with a straight edge clamped next to it for straight cutting)

Router (this is for cutting perfect circles for sub cut out. Or... a jigsaw, not as perfect but definitely close enough)

Compass (or make your own compass out of spare wood, nail and pencil)

Drill

Titebond II for your wood glue

Clamps (or other heavy weights to hold down pieces during curing time)

That's basically it.

Table saw (or circular saw with a straight edge clamped next to it for straight cutting)

Router (this is for cutting perfect circles for sub cut out. Or... a jigsaw, not as perfect but definitely close enough)

Drill

That's basically it.

I've read on the internet that spray painting a port hole is a good idea?

Edited by LuckyChalmz

Exactly where would I be able to find some of these articles? Or any websites, books, that you think would help me? I am a complete novice at this stuff, I had a lot of help when I had installed my XCONS.

Drill

That's basically it.

I've read on the internet that spray painting a port hole is a good idea?

I don't know what it's being referenced to as a good idea but don't go researching itty bitty things that is geared toward competitors.

When it comes time for u to build it, it's easy and someone here or I can tell u the specs to build it to.

clamps are a must. Someone said a while back that you can never have enough clamps. :D You technically don't need a router as if you are patient then you can make near perfect circles with a jigsaw. Get a good fence on your tablesaw. it's what makes perfect cuts.

Exactly where would I be able to find some of these articles? Or any websites, books, that you think would help me? I am a complete novice at this stuff, I had a lot of help when I had installed my XCONS.

Since your new at this,

you'll actually find yourself getting a lot of honest help from people on here.

Sorry if this seems long winded but if you really want to take a stab at building your own enclosure, :coolugh:

Keep your first build simple and to the point.

On SSA's Home page you can find info on specs and enclosure recommendations.

Also I can't stress this enough:

PLAN - Measure your space accurately - Plan again - and measure to confirm before you touch a saw to any MDF.

You don't want to waste a weekend building, only to find out something isn't right or you can't even begin to get the thing in your ride!

Check out some people's build logs on here and look at their pics involving the construction of their enclosure.

Ask any questions that may come to mind as to how and why things are done the way they are.

Keep in mind that a lot of people have different ways of achieving the same end results when the do things.

There are a ton of little tricks, some are common knowledge open to all and some have their own secrets.....

Shizzzon basically gave a good list as to the tools you'll need to get building.

I'd like to add a basic materials list to help ya out too.

I'd pick up a large box of 2~1/2" screws. They are kinda a goldish color screw. (Home depot or Lowe's)

get a pilot drill bit that will be proper size for the screw shank. (can't think of the size, off the top of my head sorry :Doh: )

3/4" MDF (Home Depot or Lowe's)

1 or 2 - 2"x4" stud material (for bracing the inside)

I have not deleted any accounts in years. Not sure what happened.

yeah man look thru the build logs section u will learn alot

and the most important things to know that i learned from recently building my first box.....

1. definately use a table saw or a skil-saw w/ something clamped to the board to ensure a straight cut

2.measure everything multiple times before you start your cuts

3.pre-drill holes before putting screws in...counter sinks are great so your screws are flush with the wood

4. use a duble baffle(2 pieces of wood glued and screwed that u mount the speakers to) and bracing. without bracing ur box will flex which sucks cause it starts coming apart and leaking air

5. seal every edge that screws together

Since your new at this,

you'll actually find yourself getting a lot of honest help from people on here.

Sorry if this seems long winded but if you really want to take a stab at building your own enclosure, :coolugh:

Keep your first build simple and to the point.

On SSA's Home page you can find info on specs and enclosure recommendations.

Also I can't stress this enough:

PLAN - Measure your space accurately - Plan again - and measure to confirm before you touch a saw to any MDF.

You don't want to waste a weekend building, only to find out something isn't right or you can't even begin to get the thing in your ride!

Check out some people's build logs on here and look at their pics involving the construction of their enclosure.

Ask any questions that may come to mind as to how and why things are done the way they are.

Keep in mind that a lot of people have different ways of achieving the same end results when the do things.

There are a ton of little tricks, some are common knowledge open to all and some have their own secrets.....

Shizzzon basically gave a good list as to the tools you'll need to get building.

I'd like to add a basic materials list to help ya out too.

I'd pick up a large box of 2~1/2" screws. They are kinda a goldish color screw. (Home depot or Lowe's)

get a pilot drill bit that will be proper size for the screw shank. (can't think of the size, off the top of my head sorry :Doh: )

3/4" MDF (Home Depot or Lowe's)

1 or 2 - 2"x4" stud material (for bracing the inside)

I have looked at many build logs on this site, honestly one of my favorite things to do lol. One of the ones I followed for a while there, it was probably a few months back maybe even more, was Big Daves build, was in his truck I believe was a F250. I love that build, was amazing craftsmanship. Enclosure recommendation wise, I was going to use there design that they have up on there site for 2 XCONS. It seems alot more well constructed then mine. The enclosure I have now is not a bad enclosure, but I have no idea how much cubic feet it has. I just wanna learn how to do this the right way for myself, so I can actually look at the system and be pleased with it and myself as well as listening to it and be pleased lol. I've always had a thing for car audio. It just brings happiness to me lol. When I get ready to start building this enclosure I will be asking a lot of questions so I know I am doing things correctly, and have pic by pic so I can be looked on by you guys so I don't make any costly mistakes.

Edited by LuckyChalmz

and the most important things to know that i learned from recently building my first box.....

1. definately use a table saw or a skil-saw w/ something clamped to the board to ensure a straight cut

3.pre-drill holes before putting screws in...counter sinks are great so your screws are flush with the wood

4. use a duble baffle(2 pieces of wood glued and screwed that u mount the speakers to) and bracing. without bracing ur box will flex which sucks cause it starts coming apart and leaking air

I am not a pro at Car Audio or building enclosures, but I have done some difficult carpentry projects and learned my lesson that measuring 100 times and only cutting once is better then measuring once and making costly mistakes. Tool wise I believe I have everything I need. My dad left me all his tools and he was a handyman lol. Had every tool you would ever need for anything pretty much.

Edited by LuckyChalmz

curious is this about me cause I couldn't log on earlier?

What do you mean by bracing the box, and what do I use to seal the edges of the box? Glue?

Bracing like this:

BOX51.jpg

It's a 2" wide strip with 45's on each side so they sit perfect in the edge seams.

About the glue...

Coat the edge of the panel that is to be butted to the surface of the other panel.

When you screw the pieces together the glue will squeeze out of the edges.

Wipe the glue on the outside, and if needed add a better glue bead on the inside of the seam.

Then proceed to feather the bead lengthwise across the seam kinda like soothing a bead of caulk....

BOX9.jpg

curious is this about me cause I couldn't log on earlier?

Yes, but no need to worry now.