let me break it down for u what im currently running n what i want to.

Pioneer hu 6950ub

1 15' kicker L7 in a 3.83 cft box tuned to 33 hz

1 Solid audio f2000 giving around 900rms to the sub

a pair of 6*9 pioneer D series

powered by Solid audio Ms42

auxil rca's

Stinger 1/0 ground n power wires

Stinger Distribution block n fuses

110 amp single 12.5v batt

80 amp alt (stock)

In Honda civic 05

Big3

Daily driver.

music preference: hip hop

Now im planning to upgrade my system to a single Fi 18 BTL. i can manage 7 cft with ease. i also hav a brand new DDz1 amp to power it .. ill probably buy 2 stinger spv44s but the main question is that do i have to change my stock alternator too?? its not that i dont want to but its the availability in my country. ihave done a couple of builds but this one would be the baddest of them all so thought to ask coz i dont wana do anything wrong.

Amp specs for DDz1 ( rated 3kW @ 1 ohm/ 12.5v )

AT 12.5 volt single batt

2279 wrms @ 4.6 ohm

3405wmrs @ 2.3 ohm

4188wrms @ 1.15 ohm

At 14.4v batt + power supply

3042wrms @ 4.6 ohm

4462wrms @ 2.3 ohm

5358wrms @ 1.15 ohm

Not thinking to over power the 18 BTL for right now, probably would run it on 4 ohms in a 12.5 volt system once m 100% sure about the alter. so wat u guys say?

btw i m not sure how to upload pics here or else i would have.

thanks

Riz

I don't think two batteries is gonna cut it man, and your stock alt is tiny as is. Even if you run it at 4ohms, aren't you going to want to take full advantage of your driver and amp in the future?

To me you mine as well buy a new h/o alt and in the mean time run it with the most power you can get without massive voltage drop.

Edited by stefanhinote

johnecon2001

thanks for moving it to the right forum

stefanhinote

its not that i dont wana buy a new h/o alt but the problem is where i live, its impossible to buy a h/o alt due to availablilty issues.. i have to pay $700 approx just to ship the sub here, let alone the custom i have to pay when it arrives.

im sure i wont push my amp less than 4 ohm load due to my tiny alt. so the question remains as it is :(

btw thanks fro the input mate, appreciate it.

I would absolutely buy a larger alternator if you want to get even 1/2 the power out of that amp (that the sub is rated for)

KU40

o i guess i doomed!?! i know i need power to make power but i thought the ddz1s were rated on stock electricals..? isnt it why they were rated good for being not that power hungry!?

thank you for the input :)

How are they going to be rated on stock electricals when every stock system is different? Your car has an 80 amp alt, mine has a 130. How do you think that changes things? And to get 4000 watts from that amp you'll need about 450 amps of current. How is your 80 amp alt going to do that? Being "power hungry" is a relative term that is thrown out the window when you're talking about 4000 watts. What's the difference at that level if the amp is 80% efficient and pulls 450 amps or 90% efficient and pulls 420 amps? You're still pulling 400+ amps. Not gonna matter.

Try contacting DC Power and ask them if they will ship it to where ever the fuck you live lol :fing34:

Edited by BanginGMC

a few links that might help you out some in designing your charging system:

My link

the pages under the Electrical heading below Amplifiers.

Edited by GlassWolf

The math on an 80a alt is not good. I thought I read it was a 110 alt and I figured the max output in watts was 1600 if you were getting a full 14.4v. It's even less for an 80 amp. In that case you can have a 10kw amp but you are only going to get 1500w out of it. You can probably get a lot more then rated output from the stock alt but it's going to suck the life right out of it.

My suggestion is to get the biggest alt you can find for your vehicle. That's all you can do aside from adding a second alternator or switching to a 16v system. Batteries won't really help if you are only putting out 80 amps. Amperage is really important in how many watts you can put out.

I paid $400 for my 200a alt. It's worth whatever you have to pay. To me it's the heart of the system.

You might be able to get your stock alt rebuilt for more output locally.

KU40

yea u make sense. i guess i have to buy an alternator in anyway. thanks for replying

BanginGMC

DC power doesnt make alternators for my car type. thanks

Glasswolf

informative link. thanks

Turner

No i cant rebuilt it locally as no one does it here, n i have tried lookin db, irragi, dcpower, springhill n some others but they dont make alternators for my car type. btw its a Honda civic 1.5L 1493cc.

i guess im doomed again lol

KU40

yea u make sense. i guess i have to buy an alternator in anyway. thanks for replying

BanginGMC

DC power doesnt make alternators for my car type. thanks

Glasswolf

informative link. thanks

Turner

No i cant rebuilt it locally as no one does it here, n i have tried lookin db, irragi, dcpower, springhill n some others but they dont make alternators for my car type. btw its a Honda civic 1.5L 1493cc.

i guess im doomed again lol

Have you actually tried contacting the companies? Or are you strictly looking on their sites. I know DC Power makes alts for a lot of vehicles that aren't even listed on the site. Where do you live? and why does it cost so much to get stuff there?

Stefanhinote

No i havent actually but ill do that right. i live in Pakistan n just not the shipping is heck expensive, the 300% duty on imports just breaks my back. Any how i have some1 coming frm houston city so im thinking to buy a rebuilt Kit for my alternator? in this way its gona be cheaper n i know some mechanics here that can manage to fix the kit. how about that?

btw thanks for ur input man. appreciate it.

Stefanhinote

No i havent actually but ill do that right. i live in Pakistan n just not the shipping is heck expensive, the 300% duty on imports just breaks my back. Any how i have some1 coming frm houston city so im thinking to buy a rebuilt Kit for my alternator? in this way its gona be cheaper n i know some mechanics here that can manage to fix the kit. how about that?

btw thanks for ur input man. appreciate it.

Ouch, if your friend from Houston bought the alt in the states then brought it back to Pakistan, would you still have to pay the 300% on imports?

Man I feel for ya, couldn't imagine paying 3x everyone else does =/

stefanhinote

No, i dont have to pay duty if my friends brings the alternator here with himself. u have to pay the duty and the shipping charges when u import it from fedex or dhl. lol yea i know its really annoying paying thrice the amount + the price of the product + hundreds of dollars of shipping charges.

anyways so if i want a rebuild kit for my alt, would i run into a problem when installing it? i mean can i trust the maker of the rebuilt kit for my alt that it would make a bolt on fit to my existing alt n it wouldnt give me any problem after as i wont be able to send it back for repairs or exchange in anycase...

stefanhinote

No, i dont have to pay duty if my friends brings the alternator here with himself. u have to pay the duty and the shipping charges when u import it from fedex or dhl. lol yea i know its really annoying paying thrice the amount + the price of the product + hundreds of dollars of shipping charges.

anyways so if i want a rebuild kit for my alt, would i run into a problem when installing it? i mean can i trust the maker of the rebuilt kit for my alt that it would make a bolt on fit to my existing alt n it wouldnt give me any problem after as i wont be able to send it back for repairs or exchange in anycase...

Swapping alts should be easy, but i don't know how difficult rebuilding one is, but if you rebuilt it you still aren't going to get as much out of it as a h/o one. Could you pay for the alt online, have it shipped to your friend and have him bring it back?

stefanhinote

hmm i see. yes i guess i should buy it online n have it shipped to my friend and then he'll bring it here.

So now i can spare around $300 on an alt, what would u recommend? any brand or maker in particular? n as KU40 said, i should go for the biggest but i doubt $300 would do that.

stefanhinote

hmm i see. yes i guess i should buy it online n have it shipped to my friend and then he'll bring it here.

So now i can spare around $300 on an alt, what would u recommend? any brand or maker in particular? n as KU40 said, i should go for the biggest but i doubt $300 would do that.

I'm sure theres h/o alts that are 300 bucks but whether there reliable or not is another question, I know DC power makes quality alts and they have a lower line thats $390.

A lot a guys on the forum have aftermarket alts and should be able to tell you what to buy and what not to buy ;) hopefully they'll chime in

stefanhinote

thanks man for ur input. ill try contacting dc power n will let you guys know what they have to say.

thankyou once again

stefanhinote

thanks man for ur input. ill try contacting dc power n will let you guys know what they have to say.

thankyou once again

No problem, hope you can get your alt and not pay triple :)

well i emailed to Dcpower, Mechman, Ohio and springhill for my query. Dcpower and Ohio havent replied yet but m sure they will. Springhill replied that they cannot help me and Mechman looking into the issue quite interestingly and have asked for more information regarding my stock alternator. im impressed by their customer services and how fast they re replying. Any ways im hoping for the best.

well no luck!! after exchanging various emails with ohio, springhill and mechman, no one can make the alternator for my car. not even a rebuilt kit so i guess as i thought before, its nearly impoosible for me to swap my alternator. i have looked around where i live n i can only manage an alternator with 110 ampere max.. that too with unreliable fitting as it will be fo another car..

Now what do u guys suggest?? should i run my BTL 18 with my stock alt, giving it around 2000-2200 wrms or ahould i just stop thinking about upgrading my audio n let the stuff remain in my closet to rust :s.

In need of some serious suggestions??

well no luck!! after exchanging various emails with ohio, springhill and mechman, no one can make the alternator for my car. not even a rebuilt kit so i guess as i thought before, its nearly impoosible for me to swap my alternator. i have looked around where i live n i can only manage an alternator with 110 ampere max.. that too with unreliable fitting as it will be fo another car..

Now what do u guys suggest?? should i run my BTL 18 with my stock alt, giving it around 2000-2200 wrms or ahould i just stop thinking about upgrading my audio n let the stuff remain in my closet to rust :s.

In need of some serious suggestions??

did you try calling dc power? :puzzled: