Sign in to follow this  
60ndown

sub phase

when i switch my +ve and -ve wires on the sub amp there is a "non-quantifiable" difference in the way things sound, but its really hard to determine EXACTLY which sounds better or right? is there a way with a dmm or some other physical piece of equipment to determine when the sub is connected in phase or is it just a matter of listening to it? or traceing everything back to the hu?

when i switch my +ve and -ve wires on the sub amp there is a "non-quantifiable" difference in the way things sound, but its really hard to determine EXACTLY which sounds better or right? is there a way with a dmm or some other physical piece of equipment to determine when the sub is connected in phase or is it just a matter of listening to it? or traceing everything back to the hu?

no-one got any imfo?

no but thats a damned good question

Usually you change the phase with components/mids.

For imaging purposes.

You cant really "image" a sub, its mono and un directional

Usually you change the phase with components/mids.

For imaging purposes.

You cant really "image" a sub, its mono and un directional

but if its out of phase with everything else when everything else moves one way the sub is going the other? thats got to be bad :blink:

Just wire it normally.

Its not really anything you need to fiddle with

actually. listen to it, because if you are the right difference, and "technically" the sub is wired in phaste (ie +\- on the +\-), the wavelength could be hitting you at the negative peak when the rest of the speakers are hitting you at the posative peak, messing with everything.

play around with it. whatever you think sounds better, keep it that way. listen to alot of music to determine this.

what kind of psychos are running their components with big ass mono amps?

Just wire it normally.

Its not really anything you need to fiddle with

Actually, that's quite incorrect ;)

By switching the phase of the subs, you could theoretically (and in reality) move the subs perceived positioning by around 6 foot since phase adjustments work as sort of a psuedo-time alignment. If you are having problems with perceived "up front bass", switching the polarity of the sub could help integrate it with the rest of the system and bring the bass more "up front" as well as smooth out the sub to midbass integration.

Really, as req said, about the only thing you can do is fiddle with it. It would really help you out, IMHO, if you listened to some good sound quality music with definite bass placement and integration and see which way works best.

blah blah blah

* im not hearing this, im not hearing this*

Yeah my sub sounds like a bag-o-shart when it is out of phase. But then again my whole system is wired against the norm so my car must be wierd or sumfin. Only my right side tweet is outta phase and that sounded the best for my setup. When I tried the left side, thinking left side is closer to my ear so if I wire outta phase it will delay it and impove sound....eeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr. Just another example of there is no logic in audio....the only way to impove your setup is to listen to it, tweak it, listen some more, tweak it some more, so on and so on.