tysonm

Xcon VS. DC LVL 4XL

I have never had a sealed setup because I have heard that ported gets a lot louder. What would some pro's con's be for ported vs sealed? Is the output reduced greatly by going sealed than ported?

Honestly it depends on the woofer. The xcon for example with it high excursion capabilities and high power handling will get damn loud in a sealed box.

The pro's for a ported box is a big peak around tuning = louder, but for SQ that is also the con. You really dont want a big peak at any frequency unless just getting as loud as possible is your goal.

orrr you could get a xcon 12 and build a 4th order band pass box which would SLAM

I have never heard of a 4th order bandpass box before. I just looked up some videos and read a little bit about them on the web. They sound like they have a slight edge over ported enclosures but you don't want to make them cube shaped. How many cubes would I need to make a 4th order bandpass if I do a single12" for now and possibly add a 12" later on and what makes a box a "bandpass" rather than a "ported" ? Is it called a Bandpass just because of the round ports??

Edited by Crash