Sign in to follow this  
Robertw813

Quick Wiring Question

I'll be running a bi-amp setup in the near future. As of right now the amps will be:

Memphis MC3004 (75x4 @ 4 ohms)

Memphis ST or MC 1000D (600x1 @ 2 ohms)

Part 1:

I have never done a bi-amp setup and was curious about the power wire. If I run this through a fused distrubution block, do I need an in-line fuse between the positive battery terminal and distribution block, or will the individual fuses in the block suffice?

Part 2:

I figured up the current draw on both amps based on the sticky in this section. It looks like:

MC3004 will be drawing 32.5A

1000D will be drawing 44A

I am currently thinking that I will run a 0/1AWG wire from the battery to the distro block, then 4AWG to the amps. I think 4AWG will be more than enough to carry the current but I could be wrong. As far as fusing the power lines should I just use a 40A for the 3004 and a 50A for the 100D?

Thanks.

-Rob

1. Always fuse the main power wire within 18" from the battery, or before the firewall.

2. 1/0 gauge, then 4ga to the amps will be fine.

I fuse for the wire's current carrying capacity.

1/0ga = 300A fuse

4 ga = 125A fuse

Thanks Neon.

If you fuse for the wires current carrying capacity are you just counting on the amp's fuse(s) to blow if it gets to much current? What I mean is if I for some reason I got 80 amps of current on one of the power wires it wouldnt blow a 125A fuse, but it would blow the 40A fuse in the amp. That sound right? I guess I was always brought up to fuse for close to the items needs.

Sorry if I go to far in depth on this stuff sometimes, I just need it broken down Barney Style.

-Rob

**edit**

Forgot to ask how you figured up the wire's current carrying capacity. Seems like useful information.

the fuse(s) in the amp(s) are to protect the amps

the fuse(s) in the wire(s) are to protect the wires