hondakilla98

SSA DCON 12 box questions

I was looking at DCON box plans on the SSA technical section. They list the optimal single DCON 12 ported at 2.25 cu ft with 32.5 sq in of port. Then the dual DCON optimal is listed at 3.28 cu ft with 45 sq in of port. I was looking at running three DCON 12's sealed in the trunk of my Eldorado with the optimal 1.25 net per sub to save space. Well after looking at the optimal ported box for 2 12's I'm wondering what the optimal for 3 12's ported would be. My max box width is 38", max height 15" and depth up to 24". I'm thinking I'll run the 12's side by side with a slot port on the top of the box 2" tall and 36.5" wide firing towards the back of the car. With a net box size of around 4 cu ft net with 73 sq in of port tuned around 32 hz. How does this sound? I'll be running these off my saz-1500d.

If you do the slot port, let it be on the bottom of the enclosure instead of on top. I have an enclosure like that for 3 12's and it works better with the port on the bottom instead of letting it resonate off of the trunk lid.

I am confused, are you asking about an enclosure for a trio of Dcon 12's? If so, you are going to want to start with 5 cubes at least.

with only 4 cubes net, i wouldnt try to run three. Two would work good in 4 cubes net. You will need around 8.2-8.5 cubes net before port displacement to get roughly 6 cubes, which would be 2 per driver.

I would rather have a pair ported than a trio sealed.

x2

X3. A DCON ported is just amazing.

x2

i second that motion also, but it really depends on what the op wants. He is the one that will have to live with it. What are your goals op?

X3. A DCON ported is just amazing.

But you're also biased lol :ehh:

Ported > sealed.

I'm going with 2-ported cuz that's Wat I have is 2 12inch hertz energys an I went with 2ported an I lik it nut also I'm switching to dcons I'm exited

I guess what I'm asking is. If optimal for one dcon 12 is 2.25 cu ft. Then why is 3.28 cu ft optimal for 2 dcon 12's? I'm going off ssa technical box specs. And yes I'm asking about 3 dcon 12's ported.

Edited by hondakilla98

I guess what I'm asking is. If optimal for one dcon 12 is 2.25 cu ft. Then why is 3.28 cu ft optimal for 2 dcon 12's? I'm going off ssa technical box specs.

It is not set in stone that you have to run that size enclosure. I would shoot for around 1.75-2.0 cuft per or 3.5-4.0 cuft total after port and driver displacement. That will let you command the lows with authority!

I want clean sound and as much output as my old setup. Which was 1 re sx15 in 4 cu ft tuned to 30 hz running @ 2 ohms off my saz1500d. That's why I was looking at running three 12's sealed. I figure almost double the cone area with a little more power would give me similar output. Then I looked at the box plans and noticed that they only added 1 cu ft when they added a second sub. And Figured that for three would be 1 more cu ft. Coming out to 4.25 net for three. So I wanted to know if the box plan was wrong.

It appears I misread or misunderstood a little of what you were asking initially as we did not provide dual sealed box specs for the Dcon. The box plans are on the tech center fine, there is no law that says as the number of drivers incrementally increases, the initial suggested box design should increase in a linear fashion matching the driver increase. ;)

As said a few times above, going ported with a pair would be, in most cases, a better choice then going with a trio sealed. With a driver like the Dcon, there is no worry in terms of clean sound when going ported (as long as the enclosure/amp settings are done correctly). ;) Not saying to not go sealed, not at all, but if you take a look a the specs of the Dcon it will really tell you about the driver design. Meaning, if you break it down, the Dcon will play great in both sealed or ported, (many people go by the EBP {efficiency bandwidth product} to gauge ported or sealed, and in the Dcon's case it will be comfortable in most any enclosure), but upon further review, you will see that it really sets it self apart from the competition in smaller ported enclosures. But for sure, you can run a trio of Dcon's sealed, that will still be an excellent option.

There is not much on the internet based market in terms of higher performance, low-mid power sub woofers. There are plenty of entry level low-mid power sub woofers out there, especially in the mainstream market, but few are manufactured and designed with in the same standards and specifications as the high end models. As in the Dcon is built here in the USA, by the exact same people that build the monster Xcon. ;)

I guess what I'm asking is. If optimal for one dcon 12 is 2.25 cu ft. Then why is 3.28 cu ft optimal for 2 dcon 12's? I'm going off ssa technical box specs. And yes I'm asking about 3 dcon 12's ported.

Did you ever build this? I'm about to build a ported box for 2 x 12" DCONs and I'm curious as to how yours turned out (if you went that route) :bump: