Hell-Razor

New box designs

Alright guys here it goes... Trial 2! for my woofer box....

My current design is 31.5w, 22d and 16.5t. I don't remember the wood thickness but I found a scratch paper and I only made my box 3.5cuFt... Which is the smallest they recommend for a level 5 15". Why I did that? I have no bloody idea....

Anyway I re measured and I can add a little more to the box -- roughly 2.25 inches on top, and 7.5 inches on width. I would like to try and reduce the dept the most I can because as of right now I cannot fit more than one battery back there. I would like to be able to lay my amp down nice and neat and have the bat next to it. I will be trying to design my own again but I would love to see people chiming in with recommendations. Pretty sure I want to tune it lower than what I have now (31.5hz) to about 28hz. I would like to add a slide to change the tuning to the mid to upper 40s for competitions. I like having massive output on the lows and seeing my car vibrate to death, probably the reason why I want to tune lower than what I have currently.

A rough sketch I came up with (for the complete box) is: 39W, 18.75H, 12.25D with .75inch thickness MDF. This would bring me to just over 4 cuFt (4.02425). Any yays or nays to trying to design a slider with this? Anything jump out screaming "noooo"? My issue right now is that I don't know of any good ways of figuring out a slider to change the tuning.

Hrmm. It looks like I would need some tweaking on the design.... I would need some crazy port. Well I guess its obvious I need a helping hand.

Well, I would suggest going that far down in your tuning; unless you are listening to straight low tones or chopped and screwed stuff. As for room to lay your amp down, you could make a rack so it kinda slanted up on an angle. Shizzzon knows alot about adjustable ports, maybe pm him?

Single 3/4 MDF?

for a level 5?

That's not something i would do, it would atleast use double 3/4 MDF all around.(with some bracing, and fiberglass)

Single 3/4 MDF?

for a level 5?

That's not something i would do, it would atleast use double 3/4 MDF all around.(with some bracing, and fiberglass)

Right now with my 3.5cuFt box its holding very very very well (its 3/4 MDF). I put a mirror on it about 5 minutes ago and a laser to see if the box is flexing. Its not but it sure is vibrating....I will fiberglass the box, I plan on doing that and something on the inside to make it nice and smooth. I will tackle that road though when I get to it.

But I am up to bracing or moving to 1.5 MDF like you recommended. Its just I am pressed for space is all...

If you build it right 3/4" will be fine (In this case at least)

Alright,

I think I got a new design coming along decently. I think a DC Level 5 15 is about .21 displacement so thats what I about based this design off of. I will be building this box out of 3/4 MDF,

39" W, 19" H, 15" D. This will give the box 4.5cuFt of airspace without displacement. The woofer and port will be firing forward

COMPETITION:

The port will be 5" W (17.5 inches tall) and 16.5" D tuned to 46hz with a total volume of 4.23 cuFt. Will give me a square port area of 87.5

DAILY POUNDING:

The port will be 1.5 "W (17.5 inches tall) and 16.5" D tuned to 26hz with a total volume of 4.8 cuFt. Will give me a square port area of 26.25. i THINK this has to be between 60 and 120 though =/

What do you guys think? The only thing I am not sure about is the competition box. It seems that with a port that big it will reduce the cuFt of the box to about 4 not including the displacement from the woofer...

EDIT: I just realized the daily pounding port may do two things 1) I dont have enough port room 2) I may get port noise

Edited by Hell-Razor