Sign in to follow this  
gcs8

impedance fail?

its so stiff right now i can barely move it with my hand, the coils on the dmm read .7 ohm's and .5 ohm's.

regardless of how i wire the VC's it ends up at .5 ohm's, not sure if its my dmm failing or if i just fail at life, any help?

final ohm load should be 2ohms FI says .7 ohm's for D1 set so it should be ~1.4-1.5 ohm's

it's prolly your DMM.

If your coils were shot it would read crazy numbers.

What is the problem with the sub?

it's probably your DMM.

just that it reads .5 ohm's in series or .3 in parallel.

just worries me a bit.

don't think my saz-3000D is going to be happy @ .5 with my current electrical, sub probaly wouldn't like it ether.

Like I said, it's prolly your DMM. Replace your batteries and touch the leads together to reset to zero.

slightly off is not crazy numbers. When I say crazy I mean obviously fuck up!

Like I said, it's probably your DMM. Replace your batteries and touch the leads together to reset to zero.

slightly off is not crazy numbers. When I say crazy I mean obviously fuck up!

well.... dmm looks like my dmm is dead, however i put the sub in my car and turned the gain up tell i could start to hear it then before it was even close to as loud as my mid's it blew the fuse that i have been using at ~1500 watts for a while.

You're probably running on a stock electrical system too...

Those coils are wound on a machine that has a very specific length of wire that is calculated to be exactly .75 ohms. You are not going to have one coil .5 ohms and one .75 ohms...it's impossible.

You cannot put that kind of power in a stock car with a stock electrical system and yank the gains up and expect magic to happen...

It takes power to make power.

You're probably running on a stock electrical system too...

Those coils are wound on a machine that has a very specific length of wire that is calculated to be exactly .75 ohms. You are not going to have one coil .5 ohms and one .75 ohms...it's impossible.

You cannot put that kind of power in a stock car with a stock electrical system and yank the gains up and expect magic to happen...

It takes power to make power.

i know it takes power to make power, this is by far not my first system. i also under stand that the gain is not a vol knob. the subs i had in there before where 1.8 ohm's and so i thought .75 + .75 = 1.5 so not that far off. when it didn't sound louder then my phone on vibrate i turned the gain all the way down then slowly turned it up (tune by ear instead of with my dmm) thats when my fuse blew.

i am running simi stock electrical, big 3 is done, with the gain set at ~ 1450 by the dmm it ran fine for quite some time. at my max vol 45 of 62 the voltage didn't drop below 13.1V in the back, electrical up grades are on the way as i get more money. and i do keep the sub lvl at -3db at the HU. i don't have ~150 amps to feed it but i do have enof to run it at around ~100 amps.

so for 1.5 ohms at 1500 watts to set the amp properly it should be set by dmm at 47.43V.

tho at 1.5 ohm's its probably closer to 2000 watts then it should be 54.77 considering this is right, Voltage = sqrt( (x)Watts X (x) ohms)

it didn't get any louder then my cell on vibrate but it does make the wires connecting the voice coils "dance". does this many any thing to any one?

A video or pictures would really go a long way here. Make sure you're checking the coils with the amp/car off and a good DMM.

You could simply need to turn things up, what size fuse are you running, what enclosure, etc.,

it's probably your DMM.

yeah i messed up a voice coil in my btl not too long ago. one side read 1 and the other VC was going anywhere from .3 to 1.2

well from help forum my normal form it sounds like my coils are out of phase... if i only hook up one coil at a time it plays just fine.

Edited by gcs8

well after more screwing around with it, and a battery. hear are my findings.

parallel

= ok

series

= fail

at least you've narrowed it down. which is somewhat of a relief

and the coils look like there wired like there suppose to be.

at least you've narrowed it down. which is somewhat of a relief

yep now i just haft to figger out what this all means. i should have gone in to electrical engineering instead of network systems admin.

Edited by gcs8

DSCN0604.JPG

DSCN0626.JPG

this thread needed some pics i have more if you want them but hears the basics.

Take the sub out of the box and take a picture of the terminals with the wire going into them like you say you have it.

Take the sub out of the box and take a picture of the terminals with the wire going into them like you say you have it.

as per your request.

DSCN0627.JPG

DSCN0628.JPG

if u want i can make a video of testing it.

Um...why do you have 3 wires?

Take the wire that is in the black (negative) terminal in picture number 1, and hook it to the red (positive) terminal in picture number 2

You then have the red (positive) terminal in picture number 1 with no wire in it, and the black ( negative) in picture number 2 with no wire in it.

That is where your postiive and negative hooks from your amplifier...

You've got some coils fighting each other I think..if you have this hooked up in "series" as i've described above there should be ZERO reason as to why you have 2 pieces of speaker wire in 1 terminal block. Each terminal should have 1 piece of wire in it.

Um...why do you have 3 wires?

Take the wire that is in the black (negative) terminal in picture number 1, and hook it to the red (positive) terminal in picture number 2

You then have the red (positive) terminal in picture number 1 with no wire in it, and the black ( negative) in picture number 2 with no wire in it.

That is where your postiive and negative hooks from your amplifier...

You've got some coils fighting each other I think..if you have this hooked up in "series" as i've described above there should be ZERO reason as to why you have 2 pieces of speaker wire in 1 terminal block. Each terminal should have 1 piece of wire in it.

its hooked up like in pic 2. Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams, One 1 ohm Dual Voice Coil (DVC) Speaker

there is no third wire. main pos in one coil then main neg in the other but i have also tried main pos and neg in one coil set then jumper wires to the second coil.

and you mean like this?

this has the same problem

DSCN0629.JPG

DSCN0630.JPG

Sign in to follow this