Sign in to follow this  
Ford12508

What road to take!

Well I am getting my first vehicle soon, and am building my first sound system in it. People who know me know when I do things, I go big and get the best available to me at the time. So I just bought a Team Cactus Sounds 7KW Amplifier. Now what should I hook it up to? Assume that I am doing the build in the bed of a pick up truck with either a 6.5 or 8 foot bed. What I am really wondering is should I go with many small(10-12") subs, a couple large(18") subs, or a single large(18"), a single medium(15"), and a couple small(10-12") subs? I realize with the last option, I would need quite a few amps, but lets assume that it isn't an issue.

Right now I am thinking about wiring up 2 Fi 18" BTLs to the Cactus, but I really do not know what method to go with.

Also, for anyone saying I shouldn't have bought the Cactus Sounds 7KW, I got it for a steal, a measily $1100! I had to take it :fing34:

Budget is around a couple thousand at this point, and this will be for a daily driver that will also be a personal SPL machine, I don't think I will ever compete with it.

You wouldn't need quite a few amps for the last option. If you got subs that are dual 4 ohm, you could get 8 and wire each sub's vc's in series, then parallel the whole lot for a final 1 ohm load. Or you could get dual 1 ohm coils, wire four sets of two subs in series so that you basically have four 4 ohm loads, then wire those in parallel for a 1 ohm load on the amp. There are many other options, these are merely two. Oh the helpful wonders of dual voice coils!

I'd say if it's a personal SPL machine, use many subs in a ported box in a cut through.

I only said I would need more amps for different LPF and SSF settings between a 10" and an 18" sub. I think I decided on what I want to do. 2 18" Fi BTLs in the bed, and 2 Fi Q 12" in the cab, this way I can have quality when just cruising, and loud when I am posted far away from people.

Having multiple sized, not to mention different models, of subs put together in the same setup is not ideal. I mean I suppose if you want to have two entirely different setups in the same car and have only one selected at the same time.... well ok. You'll waste space, but I guess if you don't care then it doesn't matter. Just don't play them both at the same time. It will sound like poop.