Sign in to follow this  
bass_4_ever

Subwoofer Terminals

hey everyone,

I was wondering if its possible to change the positive & negative terminals on a sub? I have JBL GT5s I'm using but it seems the terminals on the subs are very flimsy. Is there any way to change them to something a little more heavy duty or easier and more steardy to use?

If so, can someone point me in the right direction on how to go about changing them?

Thanks!

Andrew

It would depend on your technical abilities as to how good it turns out, but it's perfectly possible. Check out Parts Express for terminals, it's a good place to start.

Thanks! So how would i go about changing the terminals? I've never done it before... I'm not looking for a professional finished look, just able to put the terminals on and make them hold

Whaty type are you replacing? Spade?

http://images.sonicelectronix.com/images/359935/main/gt510d.jpg

in the link u can see the terminals, theres 2 positives & 2 negatives on the same terminals, its a single 4 ohm sub. I'd like to change these terminals for something a little more steardy and easier to use. it seems like everytime i solder them, they become flimsy and about to break...

like alton mentioned, id find a set of terminals first, such as these on parts express:

Round Speaker Terminal 4-1/8" Gold Spring-Loaded | Parts-Express.com

260-278_s.jpg

then i would cannibalize it a little by cutting some of the plastic off. i would leave enough to be able to attach it to the frame of the woofer with a pair of pop rivets. then its just a matter of soldering the leads to the terminals.

Edited by ScottXGTR

I'm not sure of the specifics but I believe the terminals are soldered on to the wires...You'd have to desolder them then solder new ones one.

Sounds easy enough! I've got a blown sub sitting in my garage so i'll use it as a dummy test! Thanks guys!

Andrew