JustinW

Boss CX8 enclosure questions..

Don't hate the BOSS... gf wanted a small system, I'm building her one lol.

Regardless, I can't find much info on the sub besides what's listed on the main site and sonicelectronix.

BOSS AUDIO SYSTEMS | ENTERTAIN YOURSELF

and

Boss CX8 - 8" Subwoofers - Sonic Electronix

Sub will be powered by only 70wrms at 4 ohm.

so question is:

what tuning should I do the enclosure for the sub? anyone have any ideas on port length? also airspace recommendations on an 8? She listens to gaga/la roux and ke$ha a lot.

I'm honestly not that experienced doing my own enclosures and would prefer help of the forum over me trying to do it myself haha. just an fyi, I am always open to free enclosure designs :) Or I'd pay to have someone build the box as well lol.

thanks in advance all for the help. Quicker we get this box done, quicker her buildlog will start. you know we need more girls with systems!

Edited by Arsenal

For that sub might as well as order her a prefab off Sonic!

For that sub might as well as order her a prefab off Sonic!

NEVER! :fing23::shrug:

I mean if no one is up to the challenge of making this sub work :P ( oh yea I went there )

Edited by Arsenal

Those artists don't dig that low, plus with it being a mediocre 8", I'd say tune it to 38-40 hz. Size....hard to say. Maybe .8 cubes or so. You could even go a little bigger since you have a lower powered amp. Only thing is that you'll really have to be careful with anything below tuning, I'd highly recommend a subsonic filter (I'm guessing the amp you have doesn't come with one).

Port length depends on port area and box size. Find a tuning calculator and figure it out. A single 3" port would probably suffice, I doubt that sub moves much.

Spend 20 more bucks and get the RE Audio 8 off ebay. way better quality! IMO

If you haven't bought the Boss 8", take a look in the SSA store for the Bravox 8" on sale. Great little woofer that I think would give you better results for not much more $!

thanks for the help ku40.

what subsonic filter would you recommend?

amp is a visonik vb101pk , tiny amp.

Edited by Arsenal

anyone want to recommend a cheap subsonic filter unit? the amp is a visonik vb101pk.

Also, how does this box look?

boxfirstattempt.jpg

Edited by Arsenal

I take it no SSF on that amp?

LOL! Oh man that is small! About the only think you may find external is from Sub-Sonic Filters

yea :) check this out:

bothi.jpg

it is indeed small. Which of those filters shown on that site would you get? I know little about that stuff honestly.

Just 2 cents here. I've tried using cheap 8's. Had a memphis 8 which should be better then this 8 and in. A ported box 40 hz on 300 watts I was disapponted. Its hard to pass up a 30 dollar woofer but if you don't want her to say "that's it??" you may want to step to something like a 10. Especially with the limited power you want to use. Check out the tidal audio 10 at woofers etc. Very simular to image dynamics id10.

I know you wan t to use this but nothings worse then hyping up your gf about something and then having her get let down. 8inches may work in the bedroom but in the trunk you need to go bigger :)

Good luck anyway you go.

Just 2 cents here. I've tried using cheap 8's. Had a memphis 8 which should be better then this 8 and in. A ported box 40 hz on 300 watts I was disapponted. Its hard to pass up a 30 dollar woofer but if you don't want her to say "that's it??" you may want to step to something like a 10. Especially with the limited power you want to use. Check out the tidal audio 10 at woofers etc. Very simular to image dynamics id10.

I know you wan t to use this but nothings worse then hyping up your gf about something and then having her get let down. 8inches may work in the bedroom but in the trunk you need to go bigger :)

Good luck anyway you go.

it'll be fine, no worries.

Edited by Arsenal

Something else to think about. What about building a 4th order bandpass box. You could get some additional output in the higher bass area and perhaps get a little more cone control in the range that would have otherwise been below tuning frequency in a ported box. Plus the cone would be protected from debris in her trunk.

Something else to think about. What about building a 4th order bandpass box. You could get some additional output in the higher bass area and perhaps get a little more cone control in the range that would have otherwise been below tuning frequency in a ported box. Plus the cone would be protected from debris in her trunk.

i still need help with a standard ported box so I don't think i'd honestly be able to get a 4th order made up lol. If I could have someone design me one, then i'd try it. I just don't know enough about them to attempt something on my own.

Edited by Arsenal

If you tune the box to 38 hz, you'll want to get a subsonic filter probably around 33-35 hz.

so probably this at 35hz PFMOD HP-Sub ??

assuming i'm tuning to around 38-40, would that work? Just looking for an answer, I don't mean to keep bumping a boss thread of all things haha.