boboridesbmx

Soundstream XXX re-cone or just a new surround?

So i ended up picking a soundstream XXX up from my buddy mario on team soundstream, he had it in his wall and was on his way to a buddys b4 they were done and it wasnt secured all the way so the box flew fwd and damaged one of the subs, but it was just the cone...no the voicecoil, spider or tinsel leads, those are all still hooked up and the sub works ha but im not sure if i have to do a full recone or not, i heard id be fine getting a new surrond and dustcap since i am only gunna be givig it about 3-3.3krms so no where near its power limits, but i was wondering if there is a easy way to get the remaing cone of around the voicecoil, this is going to be the first sub i have reconed, and if anyone knows someone with a nice high surround cone since thats what this one needs, i found one from PSI for the 4" voicecoil which is 65 but it would be nice to do this as cheap as i can, we all like cheap:D

but yea just shoot me your opinion thanks everyone.

xxx.jpg

xxx2.jpg

IMG_3348.jpg

IMG_3349.jpg

IMG_3346.jpg

IMG_3344.jpg

IMG_3342.jpg

you would be better off just reconeing it its really easy theres videos about it on youtube

you would be better off just reconeing it its really easy theres videos about it on youtube

yea....thts what i keep hearing ha...damn thought id be able to do it real cheap ha, owell it will be worth it when it is done, how much u think it would cost to recone one?

You need a full recone. PSI can get 4" coils to fit them, that's about the only place. Even then I'd get soft parts and glue from somewhere else.

I have 2 of these blown (due to user stupidity & bad luck and I'll leave it at that) and have been searching and pricing recones for it for some time now. The cheapest I have found for a full kit is $175 and was quoted a little over $200 per kit. BTW you don't have to replace the surround with a high roll as it WILL cost you more and be a little harder to find esp. where you don't plan to put much power on it. Could you update this thread after you fix it, or shoot me a PM or text, Lil Italy / Mario has my number... if I remember right, Thanks and GL

High roll surrounds break up easier, you don't need one at all a normal surround will work great. PSI has 4" coils for $80.

Lil Italy is who I picked it up from ha it his out of his truck LOL

A full recone is needed for that beast! Either fixmyspeaker.com or Pierce Audio Products should be able to recone that for you.

we can recone it with parts that actually work properly.. :)

we can recone it with parts that actually work properly.. smile.gif

X2

Not quite awake yet! peepwall.gif

hmm ha well what do u think this is going to run

Yes Fi >>> PSI.

'Cept for the damn nomex spiders.

Lil Italy is who I picked it up from ha it his out of his truck LOL

yeah thats why I said it hehe

don't mean to thread jack but sure OP will like to know this info too, how much and what coil configurations can you do? Do you already have the gap measurements? If you rather not post the price could you PM it to us? Thank you much

im not sure on gap measurement but quad 1ohm and 4" vc

:-) I was asking NDMstang65 what he could do for us lol. I am very familiar with my subs, and actually they are quad 1.2 ohm like the XXX18, NOT quad 1. It is a misprint on the site. If your coils are reading 1 ohm then they are 100% damaged not that it matters as said above they need a complete recone.

Or is that what you were quoted by him?

Edited by SPLScion

Yea, 1.2ohm per coil is correct. Same as my splx-154 subs, even though SS says 1ohm per coil.

:-) I was asking NDMstang65 what he could do for us lol. I am very familiar with my subs, and actually they are quad 1.2 ohm like the XXX18, NOT quad 1. It is a misprint on the site. If your coils are reading 1 ohm then they are 100% damaged not that it matters as said above they need a complete recone.

Or is that what you were quoted by him?

my mistake late at night and yes they are quad 1.2 and read 1.2-1.3 , why must these subs be the biggest pain in the ass to find a recone haha

no worries, I was being cranky last night sorry (had very bad day). They are a little difficult to find kits for because SS redesigned the xxx15 and stopped making the factory recone kits. Some team members and people in the know bought up all that was left, some IA kits for them would be bad to the bone tho

$65 for a recone from PSI isn't bad. Wonder how much the specs would change, if any.

Little bit off topic. Scion, you would have, or know where to get, a basket for an SPLX, would you? One of mine is broke in 3 places. I dropped the sub 10 minutes after getting it. It's been JB welded for 3 years now, but I've decided to go ahead and try getting a new basket and cone.

Now back on topic....

IA parts on the xxx would probably be a beast.

$65 was for a COIL..that's nothing else but hopes and dreams.

You'd have to send one of the subs in to us for us to do. I don't know what the gap height is on those or how the baskets is configured to the top plate. I also do not know the flange size on the basket either..and telling you how to measure everything for us to set it up is going to be a nightmare. Once we get the heights and how everything is set into the log book then we can build kits no problem. We just need one to build off of.

Also in regardes to the spider comment? We use poly cotton and kevlar...?

"IA" doesn't make anything that would work for that sub...

We do though. It's just a Dual 1 or dual 2ohm, no quads.

no worries, I was being cranky last night sorry (had very bad day). They are a little difficult to find kits for because SS redesigned the xxx15 and stopped making the factory recone kits. Some team members and people in the know bought up all that was left, some IA kits for them would be bad to the bone tho

its all good man no worrys and yeaa tht would be bad haha

$65 for a recone from PSI isn't bad. Wonder how much the specs would change, if any.

Little bit off topic. Scion, you would have, or know where to get, a basket for an SPLX, would you? One of mine is broke in 3 places. I dropped the sub 10 minutes after getting it. It's been JB welded for 3 years now, but I've decided to go ahead and try getting a new basket and cone.

Now back on topic....

IA parts on the xxx would probably be a beast.

65 for just the cone to fit ha

You'd have to send one of the subs in to us for us to do. I don't know what the gap height is on those or how the baskets is configured to the top plate. I also do not know the flange size on the basket either..and telling you how to measure everything for us to set it up is going to be a nightmare. Once we get the heights and how everything is set into the log book then we can build kits no problem. We just need one to build off of.

well....i say we do a test ha ill send mine to you pay for shipping...since its going to CRAZY! expensive, and in return let you experiment on my sub and when something is done it will be a prototype and i get it fro free:D haha wishfull thinking dual 2 would be nice to get but id still like power capability that this has you know? and if so i dont mind straight cutting off the old coil n sending the basket and motor and letting u guy do ur thing id actually strap it down to .25 and try and blow it on my amp haha or blow my amp...

We'll give you a deal on a recone for shipping it in. Any body that condones wiring below 1ohm is an idiot. Those korean/chinese amps cannot handle it..the power supply starts freaking out and it just goes bad..quickly.

You loose TONS of control the lower you start wiring something.

I don't know what they rated them at originally..but i'd call it around 2500 watts. We rate things conservatively..as we see waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much stupid stuff happening. Saying something is 8000 watts rms is just stupid and a marketing ploy.

I was joking Nick :P

We'll give you a deal on a recone for shipping it in. Any body that condones wiring below 1ohm is an idiot. Those korean/chinese amps cannot handle it..the power supply starts freaking out and it just goes bad..quickly.

You loose TONS of control the lower you start wiring something.

I don't know what they rated them at originally..but i'd call it around 2500 watts. We rate things conservatively..as we see waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much stupid stuff happening. Saying something is 8000 watts rms is just stupid and a marketing ploy.

mmk sweet deal let me know i got a quote from psi for 160+shipping and the guy i got it off of had around 5500 going to it....but low gain, i have a planet audio bb2400.1 which is 1ohm stable ha i aint going any lower

I dunno but mine laughed at 4.5K, they blew due to user error re: me not taking my time at a comp and letting a frayed wire touch across terminals :-(

I know what ya mean about rating tho, putting that out there can be bad cuz everyone then thinks that they can do it in any situation or any enclosure when we all know that any sub can be damaged on moderate to low power if used or installed improperly. A hypothetical sub rated for 2K wrms can handle much more when used by the right person but a novice could blow it with 500 watts.

Any who... LMK a rough price if possible, thanks