caintrain

Fi SSD/SSA ICON

I am wondering how these subs would compare as far as sound quality and SPL. , both 15" . Both powered by either sundown SAZ 1000d or a rockford t1000bd. I want to get a good quality sub and I am leaning toward the ICON but I am wondering if the SSD is a close enough match to save some money.

I know this is personal opinion, I have not heard either and was looking for someone that had heard both and could give me there opinion based on experience. I have looked at the subwoofer statistics of each and am still undecided. just wanted to get someones first hand viewpoint. My search Through the forum was unsuccessful, thus i am still in need of some advice.

Going in 97 grand prix.

I vote icons. I have a 15 older ssd and 12 icon both sealed, to me the icon sounded more clear and on point. Hope that helps.

The Icon is more comparable to the Q series woofer from Fi, in my opinion. Both of those I have owned, and think the Icon has a slight edge.

Thanks for the help...Given the t/s parameters for all three subs(q,ssd, and icon) i would say they are all very comparable on paper. I feel like the icon would have better low frequency production in optimal situations for each, this is why i am leaning towards the icon. Think the SSD will perform better in low frequency production than the q even with less power this is why im comparing the ssd and the icon rather than the q.

Thanks for the help...Given the t/s parameters for all three subs(q,ssd, and icon) i would say they are all very comparable on paper. I feel like the icon would have better low frequency production in optimal situations for each, this is why i am leaning towards the icon. Think the SSD will perform better in low frequency production than the q even with less power this is why im comparing the ssd and the icon rather than the q.

Why would you think that?

With the same QTS and BL and lower FS frequency, makes me believe that on paper, the ssd would have better low frequency production.

with my BASIC understanding of these, this is what i think. Am i completely off track?

Edited by CainTrain

Yes. part of being a sq sub is the ability to reproduce the lows. or then u will just be missing parts in the lower range.

i would go with the icons, they arent really a sub you can classify into one category (i.e. SPL or SQ) its a daily driver that has exceptional sound quality (as do all the SSA lines) while still able to get extremely loud. I tend to think of the Icon as a merger of loudness and SQ.