bubblyjock

Too much Amp for a SSD12?

Hey everyone thanks for reading this. This isn't my first go round with putting a system in a car just the first time I have been in this type of situation. Yesterday I ordered a SSD12 with Dual 2, FW and BP, already have the car wired with 1/0 Gauge, a 2.1 cuft box at 34hz built that was actually going to be for a different subwoofer, but recently found out about Fi and was completely smitten by the product, plus it would work in the box I had built so I got it. Now knowing that RMS on the SSD is 800w I don't really want to pass up the deal I have had presented. A friend of mine had purchased a complete system that he was going to install into his truck but just got laid off and wants to sell his amp and sub's to me real bad. Don't really want the subs but the amp has my interest peaked. Its a MTX Thunder Elite TE1501D and I have heard pretty good things about it after reading up on it, plus he only wants $300. What I want to know is that at 1 ohm the amp will be putting out 1500 watts rms would I be safe running it at that with the SSD wired parallel at 1 ohm? If so what would I do to safe guard myself? If not then do you think running at 500 watts rms at 4 ohms would be adequate enough? If none of the above what amp would you suggest? Thanks guys I sure hope this hasn't been covered recently because I sure as heck couldn't find it. Thanks again!

you can gain down and not give the driver 1500watts... just because it says 1200watts does not mean its getting a constant 1500watts of power, unless you just play test tones :P

but yeah you can run the amp at 1ohm and just have the gain set lower.

That is what I figured, I am not really looking to go crazy with the set up just something with a little punch. Mostly listen to 90% Rock, 5% Heavy metal with the occasional Rap song.

your subwoofer doesn't care what type of music it's playing... either way, it's a very good product.

Be sure to post a review once you get it up and running ;)

Just leave the gain lower and listen for signs of stressing. And remember that half on the gain knob doesn't mean you'll only be getting half power (750 watts). You could be getting full power at half gain.

don't forget to use your subsonic filter.

x2, not setting up your subsonic filter correctly with even less then 800watts would most likely destory your driver just as fast and overpowering it would.

Well ended up not going with the MTX and instead just purchased a Audiopipe AP15001D. I heard some bad but mostly good about it so I am giving it a try, hell for $165 why not. I will still be checking the Classifieds for a used SAZ-1000D because I really think that would work perfectly with the SSD. Thanks for the feedback guys!

eh, you're going to waste money for no difference if you go from the ap1500 to an saz1000 but its your system and money.

Eh everyone on here talks highly of them so if I can pick one up for a good price I might as well, if the Audiopipe is working well I wouldn't change it out for the Sundown, just have it laying around for a rainy day. Plus I need to get as much stuff as I can now since I will be getting married next year!!