xAndrew225x

Cheap Headlight Whitening/De-foggy Look

If anyone's looking for a cheap alternative.

I've been wanting to try and clear my headlights up, they were all yellow and foggy. I did some searching around online and used some ideas for a mixture that came out sweeet.

1. I put two large squirts of shampoo in a cheap spray bottle, filled it with water, shook it, then added a few capfulls of bleach.

2. Sprayed a rag with the mix and squirted a good bit of toothpaste with whitening on the rag. (the grit in the toothpaste is what really helps)

3. Sprayed the headlights with the mix real good and scrubbed the toothpaste on with the rag. Kept spraying the light with the mix and adding toothpaste when needed. Did so for about 5 min a light.

I recommend only one light at a time.

4. After cleaning the lights this way, i found some leftover car polish/wax and rubbed it on, let sit for a short while, then cleaned and sprayed with water.

The lights look WAY better than before. Not brand new clean but hella good anyways. Lol

Sucks that i didn't get a before picture, but if anyone wants to see an after pic, just let me know.

Hope they stay this clean for long!! :woot:

(any other ideas are welcome!!!)

Get polish and wheel/buff it out.. father owned 3 detailing shops for 25 years.

There's gel you can buy with a special spounge ball on a bit so you can clean them at your local car shops, But that's pretty cool, make sure you seal em up tight!

yeah, i've seen the product in store, just out of boredom tried a cheap alternative

I have tried using the toothpaste and baking soda/water mix, also tried a headlight lens restorer compound from the store, and I have found little to no difference. They both make it clear up fairly well, it just doesn't last. I have been wanting to try the Turtle Wax headlight lens restorer kit, it includes two different compounds, three different grades of grit paper, and a polishing rag. Seems like it has everything to do the job and last for a while.

after you polish them they are just going to oxidize again. so you either have to keep polishing, or you can get some headlight film to protect them. they make it in tints as well as clear. it normally holds up better than having them clearcoated

Simple car wax is all that's needed. Just apply several coats and keep up on it. Same with your wheels. Hell you can even do your windows if you prefer.

Well these are my results. First picture is how they looked when I decided to first clean them up, second is the result from the homemade mix and the third is the result from the store bought compound.

clearcorner2.jpg

hammyheadlightnew2.jpg

headlightswcleaner.jpg

It took about 1 month for the headlights to go from how they looked in picture 2 back to how they looked in picture 1. I kinda prefer the store bought because it was only 6 dollars and I still have half a bottle left after over a year of cleaning them up about every month. It only takes about 10 minutes and they are cleared up again, just a couple paper towels is all you need.

Make sure you use some silicone on the headlights to keep moisture out.

Make sure you use some silicone on the headlights to keep moisture out.

Does the moisture do that? Mine are sealed. My clear coat is coming off, how would someone stop that?

after you polish them they are just going to oxidize again. so you either have to keep polishing, or you can get some headlight film to protect them. they make it in tints as well as clear. it normally holds up better than having them clearcoated

How long would that last? Where can you get these cheap?

if the factory clear coat on the lens is cracking, youll have to sand it off. get some fine grit sand paper and start wetsanding. i did a set of lens off a tiburon a few months ago and had to start with 400, then 600, 1000, and finished with 2000. then i used some headlight polish on a powerball to get them crystal clear. so far they are only slightly hazing so theyll be due for a repolish soon. then ill actually take the time to put a lens film on them to keep them from oxidizing again. if you want cheap headlight film, try ebay. if you want quality, look for something from 3M.

as far as the silicone comment, that is to prevent oxidation on the inside of the lens, where it is impossible to polish away. the oxidation is caused simply by being out in the elements.

Cheap way to get rid of the fog. New motor oil. Accidents do happen. Got a little on my headlight one day, went to wipe it off, and guess what. NO MORE FOG. Only works until it rains or u wash the car of course.