xAndrew225x

Stereo is in, dome lights won't turn off!!

Yesterday we put the stereo in my cousin's Silverado. We had a remote wire problem and need to pull the HU out today. We noticed last night that his dome lights won't turn off now, even after pulling the key and shutting the doors for a while. It's never done this before until now, is there any chance fixing the remote wire will solve this problem??

Thanks

Did you guys cut the harness? I've seen problems like this many times when people are too cheap to go ahead and buy the harness adapter. Not sayin anything bad about u guys here, just wondering how you connected it cuz it shouldn't have an effect on the dome light.

Sounds like you have your accessory and illumination wires switched.

I never use harness adapters, I always strip the insulation and solder in to the harness while also running a dedicated ground. Never have a problem and it provides a better connection as well.

Are you sure you didn't just bump the interior light switch?

I never use harness adapters, I always strip the insulation and solder in to the harness while also running a dedicated ground. Never have a problem and it provides a better connection as well.

That's good if you KNOW what each wire is. Not everyone knows, and most people have no business even trying. In today's vehicles there's several wires going into the factory radio that have nothing directly to do with it's operation such as illumination, ODBII, etc. If all you're doing is grabbing the memory and accessory wires that's no biggie, but without a wiring diagram it's impossible to know exactly what each other wire is without a lot of trouble or some searching on the net. I agree 100%, if you have the ability to get it wired without using a harness adapter you'll have much better connections, and a dedicated ground is a must these days it seems. I wouldn't recommend anyone who doesn't have the experience to wire up anything without the harness adapter.

ok, so i bought we bought a harness from installer.com for the 2010 silverado. @ tirefryr, for some reason there is only a dimmer wire, no illumination. this confuses me bc dont they all have both? my car had both. @ sandt38 we were checking that too, but i dont really think so. these 2010 vehicles have so many buttons though :trippy: @ the end, we're goin check this now

That's good if you KNOW what each wire is. Not everyone knows, and most people have no business even trying. In today's vehicles there's several wires going into the factory radio that have nothing directly to do with it's operation such as illumination, ODBII, etc. If all you're doing is grabbing the memory and accessory wires that's no biggie, but without a wiring diagram it's impossible to know exactly what each other wire is without a lot of trouble or some searching on the net. I agree 100%, if you have the ability to get it wired without using a harness adapter you'll have much better connections, and a dedicated ground is a must these days it seems. I wouldn't recommend anyone who doesn't have the experience to wire up anything without the harness adapter.

Hell 90% of people shouldn't even be wiring the harness. How many times have you see wires wrapped around each other and loosely taped. :ohnoes9:

ok, so i bought we bought a harness from installer.com for the 2010 silverado. @ tirefryr, for some reason there is only a dimmer wire, no illumination. this confuses me bc dont they all have both? my car had both. @ sandt38 we were checking that too, but i dont really think so. these 2010 vehicles have so many buttons though :trippy: @ the end, we're goin check this now

Welcome to PassKeyIII and GM's databuss. IIRC, they have a 5V output for the accessory wire, of course that could be vehicle specific.

IMO, i think you're a retard for doing that... but illumination will not have an effect on the dome light.. illumination is just so your lights on your radio will dim when you turn your headlights just like all the other lights do in any vehicle

IMO, i think you're a retard for doing that... but illumination will not have an effect on the dome light.. illumination is just so your lights on your radio will dim when you turn your headlights just like all the other lights do in any vehicle

No, that is the dimmer. Illumination lighting is for the lights on the stereo to come on with the vehicle lights, but you have to remember, not every vehicle's illumination works the same. As for the retard comment, I'll play nice.

No, that is the dimmer. Illumination lighting is for the lights on the stereo to come on with the vehicle lights, but you have to remember, not every vehicle's illumination works the same. As for the retard comment, I'll play nice.

Hmm, well I don't think i have a dimmer wire on my harness. But thanks.. but its really not worth it if you're trying to connect all of the speaker wires to.. If all you're doing is the constant positive and accessory positive with a dedicated ground, that's not a bad idea.. but a friend of mine wanted help installing his radio because he couldn't get it to work...

TURNS OUT HE CUT ALL OF THE WIRES ON THE STOCK HARNESS.. lol yeaa so i had a BADDDD experience trying to fix that.. so thats the reason my "retard" comment came out so quickly.. lol

wow.i spot a rook.

Hell 90% of people shouldn't even be wiring the harness. How many times have you see wires wrapped around each other and loosely taped. :ohnoes9:

LMAO.... Yeah, I know. I'm sure it's the same everywhere, but I've seen some really dumb things done. Case in point, just a couple of weeks ago a kid brought his car to me cuz his amp was overheating. He has a 1200watt Planet Audio mono amp mounted to a box housing a pair of 12" Kicker CVR's. Upon investigation, he didn't have enough 4awg wire for the power and ground wires to make it to the amp on the box. So he took a piece of 16awg speaker wire, wrapped it around the power and ground and ran them to the amp. I can only imagine the voltage drop it saw, its probably amazing it still works. The worst part was he said it didn't sound as loud once I moved the amp so the wires would reach it. He said it wasn't as loud.... without the distortion. Dumbass

Welcome to PassKeyIII and GM's databuss. IIRC, they have a 5V output for the accessory wire, of course that could be vehicle specific.

5 volt is common, although data bus will see a lot less. They rely on very low level varying voltage inputs to read a lot of information across a single line. Aside from actuators and heaters most mfgs use 5 volt references for everything.

LMAO.... Yeah, I know. I'm sure it's the same everywhere, but I've seen some really dumb things done. Case in point, just a couple of weeks ago a kid brought his car to me cuz his amp was overheating. He has a 1200watt Planet Audio mono amp mounted to a box housing a pair of 12" Kicker CVR's. Upon investigation, he didn't have enough 4awg wire for the power and ground wires to make it to the amp on the box. So he took a piece of 16awg speaker wire, wrapped it around the power and ground and ran them to the amp. I can only imagine the voltage drop it saw, its probably amazing it still works. The worst part was he said it didn't sound as loud once I moved the amp so the wires would reach it. He said it wasn't as loud.... without the distortion. Dumbass

thats the best thing ive heard on here all day. lmao :suicide-santa:

thanks for all the help guys, we got it figured out. pulled the unit, redid the remote wire, cleaned up some connections, and got the dome lights straight. it was an issue with a wire we pulled while running through the truck to the amp :dammit: