Sign in to follow this  
BumpinAlong

Focal Tweeters

I'm extremely interested in a pair of the focal 165 a1s and I went to listen to them at a shop and I was completely blown away... at first. The song started out I gave the guy my own test CD and the mids and mid-bass was awesome it sounded really really good. I have limited experience with listening to different speakers but this is undoubtedly really nice sounding. all things must come to an end however and a sample came in that was very high pitched and those tweeters are very bright. I like a somewhat aggressive tweeter but this was over the top. I still want to get the focals but I'm wondering about changing the tweeter. How would this be done with issues such as compatibility? and what tweeters would be a good replacement for these ones? I'm going for something that is upfront and crisp but not so much to the focals tweeter level. When installed they would probably be playing alongside 2 SA10s on an SAx1200d and themselves will be powered by a SAX100.4. I'm going for good sound quality most of the time but theres those times where I just wanna turn it all up and play it loud.

Thanks

Most component sets have on the passive crossover a selectable +- range on the tweeter output. You could wire it at the -3db and see how it sounds.

Focal tweets are very sharp and bright.

I was going to say...

Attenuate the d@mn things.

Some people seem to forget that there are things called EQs too. I know don't want them, not enough room, but if you're going to spend that kind of money on speakers, be willing to spend more on other things too.

I was going to say...

Attenuate the d@mn things.

Some people seem to forget that there are things called EQs too. I know don't want them, not enough room, but if you're going to spend that kind of money on speakers, be willing to spend more on other things too.

I don't forget that there are EQs but I'm just not familiar with them and I don't know which ones would be good for my uses. I actually would like to use one. would you be willing to point me in the right direction.

I would go back there and ask to see the crossovers and see if they have a selectable switch like 98GMC said. Most good components do have this feature, and you could have the salesperson switch the tweeter setting to attenuate the signal and retest the songs.