Sign in to follow this  
Goldberg07

What sub...

Ok so i blew 2 alpine type r 12s dual 4 ohm ran at one ohm to a sae-1200d and now i am looking to replace them.... i have a 2002 grand prix and am looking into buying a 15... i was thinking a night shade or incriminator audio... maybe an xcon... i am looking for as loud as a woofer as poss. i have bout 500 dollors to work with... any sugestions are always welcomed

Well if you're looking as loud as possible...xcon is a good idea. Fi BTL is a good idea. Hell, there are lots of good ideas.

But mainly i'm posting asking how exactly you blew the type r's. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but aren't they rated at 600 watts a piece? Thus being said, it's a large possibility that the blowing up of the subs was user error. Now i'm only saying this because i don't want you to go and drop $500 on a brand new woofer only to blow it up again. What were the settings on the amp and the HU? How did you set the gain on the amp? If it is user error, nothing is more frustrating than destroying brand new expensive equipment. Believe me, i've been there.

Edited by Frostedflakejake

i have older ones that are rated at 500 and the gain was at about 1/4 and the bass boost on amp was at 1/4- 1/2 if that.. head unit bass boost was at +2 and the sub control was at 10. i have a Alpine IVA-d106... the subs were pretty well beat to hell... haha my own fault... and what truely blew the one one still works fine... just has a rip in the surround now... is that i had it hooked to the amp at 2 ohms and it put way to much power to it as a single driver....

Okay, well just so you know for future reference:

1. Unless you have an oscillioscope, don't use bass-boost. Never. Not on the Amp, Not on the Head Unit

2. Set your gain using a DMM if you aren't able to do it by hear (i'm not able to do it by hear, follow this guide Setting Amp Gain)

And on the subwoofer side of things, i can reccomend a BTL. But that's not saying much; it's the only heavy duty sub i've had. Hopefully you can get someone who's had experience with multiple high-end woofers to comment. As i try to only talk about the things i know best :gayhaaay1:

I also only hear good things about the xcon!

Okay, well just so you know for future reference:

1. Unless you have an oscillioscope, don't use bass-boost. Never. Not on the Amp, Not on the Head Unit

2. Set your gain using a DMM if you aren't able to do it by hear (i'm not able to do it by hear, follow this guide Setting Amp Gain)

And on the subwoofer side of things, i can reccomend a BTL. But that's not saying much; it's the only heavy duty sub i've had. Hopefully you can get someone who's had experience with multiple high-end woofers to comment. As i try to only talk about the things i know best :gayhaaay1:

I also only hear good things about the xcon!

hey thanks for the input one of my buddies was saying xcon but i was wanting input on everything.. good to hear and thank you again much appriciated :)

Ascendent Audio Chaos, rated for 800 rms but I gave mine 1500 daily with no problems. Just don't use the bass boost as stated and be easy on the gains. In a 2.8^3 box tuned @ 30Hz it hit 143.7 sealed up legal on the dash on a 40Hz tone off my AP15001D and it was still very musical as well, Bass race 139.9 class on music with ease. Tank of a sub.

Edited by PHATBOi

What does your electrical look like? Are you planning on going with more power or are you going to stick with the sae 1200? The Xcon is a great sub that gets loud and still sounds good. If you are going to go with the BTL that is more SPL then the Xcon. Why not go with 2-12" Sundown SA12's they are getting good reviews and can handle that power and more I have seen guys running a SAZ2000 to 2 SA12's and are real happy.

I don't think the Xcon is what you're looking for.

It can get really loud, but it's not an spl sub.

If you have a good box for 2 12"s, the idea of the 2 sa 12s is good. Good match with your amp.

The single btl will be loud too, but you will want to upgrade your amp soon, to take advantage of this monster sub !

You can try to get a Sundown Z15 too : it's another beast !

other idea, but don't know the total cost : 2 Fi bl's in 12".

Incriminator Death Penalty, or Death row

There are tons of subs in the market.

Take a look at the ssa store. You will find some ideas.

Good luck