Sign in to follow this  
vwfamily

Might be a dumb question, but ...

I did an install way back, maybe 15 years ago on an 88 Nissan p/u. New speaker wire all around, two amps, amp board behind seat, tho whole enchilada. The 1st time i ever attempted such a thing. My p/u had a fiberglass shell that attached to the cab via a rubber boot. There was a carpet kit in the bed of the truck which held my sealed box with two 10" JL subs powered by an old school Rockford amp (Punch DSM). I had Pioneers for speakers powered by another Rockford 4 way. A set of 6.5's in the doors, and a set of 6x9's in the back installed into the carpet kits cubbys that it had. I also use an external 6 channel MTX crossover. I was in college. It was definitely a budget build, but it was nice. I was proud.

ANYHOW why do I give you all this background. Reminiscing a bit, and because I installed thick(I thought it was at the time) 4 gauge power cable, with a in-line fuse right close to the battery.

So FINALLY my question. These days when you take a car to a good/reputable car audio install shop do they do the same by running a new power line directly to the battery with the in-line fuse close to the battery? OR these days have they figured out a way to powering equipment differently. Maybe tap into some other line somewhere? I dunno ... I am from the school(old) where I would do all the work myself on my car and install a whole audio system. These day the cars are more complicated and I just don't have the nerve to try an install or even change the oil for that matter.

I have a new VW CC and plan on a new system. I am actually piecing the parts now. It's not going to be a complicated set-up. Just a 5-channel amp (total 1200 - 1800w MAX), and LOC. Those are the pieces that will require new power.

TIA :fing34:

still the same man just nowdays they add extra batteries in the back and upgrade alternators and big guys run multiple alts. but yea its still the same as way back when just alot more power nowdays

still the same man just nowdays they add extra batteries in the back and upgrade alternators and big guys run multiple alts. but yea its still the same as way back when just alot more power nowdays

Thanks!

You'd think I old by my post ... well I am a bit old (40), but I feel (in my mind) like a kid. Specially when it comes to new toys like Car Audio stuff! :wacky: :wacky:

The best way to get power is straight from the battery, and most amplifiers need a good-sized power wire, most several sizes larger than any size that the vehicle manufacturer would put in when building the car. You also don't want to tap into a wire designed for use by some other piece of factory equipment, because the manufacturer picked the wire size based on the power needs of that one piece of factory equipment. If you add something to that circuit, you'll likely overload the wire. You really need to run a new power wire for anything new you put into the vehicle.