eggyhustles

Workplace Snitching: Are you above it?

I work somewhere where you don't snitch, Unless someones life is at risk.. Just plain doesn't happen. If you do, you get run out real fast, or make your life a living hell.

But the rumour mill, well, it runs overtime, everyone has to know everyones business. And people don't care about truth, just popular myth.

I just don't see how it would benefit my coworker by telling the boss..

He wasn't going to get a promotion or higher pay, so why throw me under the bus?

The most immediate benefit would be not placing their own employment status in jeopardy solely to save yours.

Additionally, it's a slap in the face to every employee who shows up every day and does follow the policies to allow someone in blatant violation of policy to continue doing such. You don't think every other employee there would like to use their job to make more money for themselves by siphoning out customers for their own profit? Sure, they all would. But they don't. Why should you be able to walk in everyday and disrespect every single one of your coworkers? Why should they allow you to do it once they discover it?

You're reaching

I wasn't out there snatching purses from old women

So theft is okay as long as it's from a big enough pool no one will notice? That's basically your argument, and it holds zero water. Stealing cash from the cash drawer and stealing business from your employer are exactly the same thing. Would you have walked up the cash drawer, grabbed a handful and walked out simply because BB is "large enough not to care"? No, probably not primarily because there would be a higher risk of getting caught. But your argument by default requires that you would if it wasn't for the higher risk.

Look at the larger picture. BB has thousands of employees. What if 1000 employees each stole $1000 worth of income through lost business and other "petty" crimes from them each year? That's $1,000,000 of lost revenue to the company. You are not an individual, you are an organization of thousands of people.