sundownz

Prototype Z v.3 Testing

how long do we have to wait? lol if you need some one to do some testing ill take 2 12"s D2 :P

Still working on several things :

1) Foam packing tooling

2) Final testing of all sizes to verify performance / parameters

3) Final coil details with Precision in the USA

4) Selling stock of Z v.2 models

I am still thinking May to June next year.

all i want are the spiders with the integrated leads. im not sure, but these arent on the current zv2 12"s are they? can i get a zv2 custom with these new spiders?

No, they aren't on the current Z v.2 -- they use round tied down leads.

I will not have these parts in stock until the Z v.3 are in production.

darn.... ok, will the Zv2 be able to be reconed to Zv3s? trying to figure my stuff out for next year, really want the integrated leads lol

Other than coils I can interchange the parts. So you v.2 could get the spider, cones, dust cap, etc from a v.3 but will retain a v.2 coil.

sweet! that makes me feel alot better about ordering these Zv2's in the next month or so.

Thanks so much for putting up with my questions!

That is beautiful Jacob!! SICK!! All the hard work pays off in the end doesn't it ;)

Spec's are in model now. I have something to play with!

I like the Surround on the 18 as well!

My prototypes are here and they are fantastic... the 18" has an incredible amount of throw... I actually bottomed it out free air.

Fortunately I have modifications for production that provide 15mm more mechanical clearance rearward =)

I may tool new surrounds for them before production as well -- but that is pending more testing... as these surrounds are actually already pretty darn good.

My prototypes are here and they are fantastic... the 18" has an incredible amount of throw... I actually bottomed it out free air.

Fortunately I have modifications for production that provide 15mm more mechanical clearance rearward =)

I may tool new surrounds for them before production as well -- but that is pending more testing... as these surrounds are actually already pretty darn good.

What kind of xmech is it sitting at now?

Around 37mm one-way to bottom it out now without the bump-out that we will have on production... with production it will be 52mm so impossible.

Not that's clearance ;)

Even if I put an NS v.2 coil in it there would still be 44.5mm to bottom -- one of these 18s re-coned with an NS v.2 coil would have some ridiculous linear excursion for an IB home setup or something like that =)

Family Photo :

CIMG4432.JPG

I may tool new surrounds for the 10, 12, and 15 -- currently the roll is equal to the SA series. Some torture testing is in order :)

I may have found a new 10 :o

What kind of power handling will these have?

1,500 watts can't you READ! :P

Rated 1500 RMS -- very beefy American made 4-layer round aluminum coils with SA series style coil cooling in the motor.

These also have a healthy sized aluminum shorting ring / heat-sink inside the magnets.

Need to play the 12 and 15 some before measuring specs but here are 18" and 10" specs after a couple minutes play time... should experience a good bit more break-in over a week or so of play time.

Z v.3 18" D2:

Re: 2.99 ohms

Qes: 0.738

Qms: 5.677

Qts: 0.653

Le: 3.72 mH

Vas: 87.09 L

BL: 19.68 NA

Cms: 44.65 uM/N

Mms: 407 g

Sens: 89.71 dB 1w/1m

Z v.3 10" D2:

Re: 2.96 ohms

Qes: 0.542

Qms: 3.187

Qts: 0.463

Le: 3.58 mH

Vas: 6.23 L

BL: 20.42 NA

Cms: 37.32 uM/N

Mms: 218 g

Sens: 84.83 dB 1w/1m

Playing a Bass Mekanik track that drops down to 20 Hz. We are using an SAZ-2500D @ 1 ohm on the woofer -- the first part of the track shows the sub playing at maximum un-clipped volume and then we push it into clipping towards the end to show how much is TOO much sub movement.

You can actually hear a bit of "buzzing" right at first after I turn it up for the second run -- that is audible clipping.

whats the magnet diameter on these and the v.2? 9 inch like the nightshade?

Playing a Bass Mekanik track that drops down to 20 Hz. We are using an SAZ-2500D @ 1 ohm on the woofer -- the first part of the track shows the sub playing at maximum un-clipped volume and then we push it into clipping towards the end to show how much is TOO much sub movement.

You can actually hear a bit of "buzzing" right at first after I turn it up for the second run -- that is audible clipping.

nice video. nice product!

prices will be below the current?

the excursion is greater than the nightshade v2?

Jacob since you said this motor will fit the NS SPL coil, have you actually tried this yet? I would be very interested to see some type of power handling rms and max/burp wise on that type of sub. If/when you have the NEO NS SPL woofers available in 3in or 4in coils I guess this motor with the NS SPL coil would be the cheaper route to really get into a solid woofer ready to handle 6k burps at will without spending $500+? I like the looks of them without a doubt just curious on final cost and availability for custom built woofers! Considering the linear excursion specs I would imagine these things can really move some air with serious force! I have a nice test box for a single 12 I would love to try one out in, the only problem I have ever had in the box is with large amounts of power the box creates some serious cone pressue and seems to break the neck joint from the spider. Coil Imp options? The basic production of this sub looks very promising by far I will await your final specs and pricing. Great Job!

Edited by jmanjr

I am currently not currently planning to custom build these beyond re-cones -- similar to the SA line.

As for testing the other coils -- no I have not yet. I simply know they will fit the gap as the gap width = the NS v.2

As for 6k burps -- the stock woofer will do that already, at least in my box.

Still the only woofer I haven't tested from Sundown personally ;). Gonna have to change that!

Sounds like a solid woofer, when you email me back perhaps we can talk more details etc. Just a quick question though how many spiders do these come with stock?

Sounds like a solid woofer, when you email me back perhaps we can talk more details etc. Just a quick question though how many spiders do these come with stock?

Well, there are actually 3 different spider sizes and types in the Z v.3 line -- so it varies.

Are you willing to talk about that in depth here on the forum? If so can you better explain the difference if you dont mind? Is it basic like 1 is for daily 1 is for daily/light competition and 1 is for spl only or how does the 3 options work? Will these have just basic coil options? Meaning D2 an D4?

jmanjr you from mwspl forums? and im pretty sure these have the triple joint ring so you wouldn't have a problem @ the joint, and kevin ill be making a small order to start testing this week, once i get the word spread ill be making a nice order ;)

Yes I am, I have been around a little bit, have done some competition from time to time, but spent alot of time in iraq (where I am currently) the past 4 years! Looks like this year when I get back (less then 2 months :woot: ) I will rebuild my explorer with some nice new sundown goodies!! Im leaning towards the 8-sa10s, but I have a solid 4-10 box I used at a few shows did 152s fairly easy on 3k with 3 working woofers (single chamber box per woofer) I like the looks of the Z v3, but I need to get started as soon as possible, I may get the Z v3s when they are available and play with it some! Who knows.