Shogen

SSA Dcon 12"

As far as I can tell most people are mentioning 300-400watts for the Dcons which is fine for my current amplifier setup. Question is, if I upgrade to a JL 500/1 would it be overkill for the Dcon? I know seeing the full 500watts is probably not going to happen, but I would like to know if the Dcon can handle 500watts daily. Like 4hrs a daily 5 days a week.

Also starting looking at the Mach5 IXL subwoofers since I see that as a similar recommendation when people are mentioning the Dcons. Any experince with either subwoofer would be great.

I love Image Dynamics but cannot find anyone local(plus I h8 the local guys) who would just simply order through their shop, and I know they don't warranty from online retailers. So that becomes out of my reach

Thanks for the help.

Be easy on the gain and that would be a great amp on the DCON 12".

I have a 10" DCON and had it running off my Sundown SAZ-1000D at 600 watts at 2 ohms. The DCON never had an issue with the extra power.

So you would go Dcon over the Mach5? I am looking to achieve good loudness but GREAT sound... I don't like muddy high freq bass... that's was mids are for... I like em low and loud... So which do you guys think is better at that? Also, I'm looking in terms of a sealed install...

I am biased, so I vote Dcon. ;) Why sealed, just wondering?

I think you keep telling me to go ported... to be honest it is about money... I am not cheap but anywhere I look its at least 30-40% higher in pricing for the enclosure and when you take into account wiring, woofer, shipping and all that goodness that 30-40% at this time really makes a difference. I have no doubt that whatever sub I buy I will keep a while... so it could later be installed into a ported enclosure when money isn't an issue... I am just addicted to car audio so I need a new setup or I will shoot my old lady ....

If I seal the Dcon would a box @ 1.5-.18 cubes harm its sound quality or affect output? When I say quality, I mean how low it can go... When I say output, I mean loudness ....

You keep asking for a ported enclosure via your requests, but then ignore them based on price. The only way to achieve a sealed enclosure that is as loud as a ported for the SAME driver is to use two drivers. The ported enclosure is then cheaper...

I get the feeling that, based off your posts, it would be worth saving a few extra dollars for the ported enclosure. The Dcon 12 will sound fine in a 1.0 cube even sealed box, but really does open up in ported. Just taking a look at the parameters of the Dcon, it shows that. Outside of the popular performance per dollar aspect of the Dcon, it is a smaller box driver, so pushing towards the 2.0 side of things will not yeild you mega gains in performance for car audio. Home audio, that is a different story.

As for the enclosure, do you have the space, tools, and experience to build your own? Maybe have Eclectic Enclosure Designs, Argent, Dylan (JBLCAMRY) do the design for you and built it yourself. :)

Don't under estimate the DCON since it is a lower wattage driver. It can be very impressive in a ported enclosure in output. It is also a very good sounding driver especially in it's price range.

I have not heard or worked with the Mach 5 IXL driver so I cannot comment. I do know they make good drivers as well.

If you can build a box look at the tech specs for the DCON or better yet there are sample designs available for you do download.

x10 on throwing it in a ported enclosure, right from the get-go it should be twice as loud as sealed... and still retain SQ.

You keep asking for a ported enclosure via your requests, but then ignore them based on price. The only way to achieve a sealed enclosure that is as loud as a ported for the SAME driver is to use two drivers. The ported enclosure is then cheaper...

I get it, fine fine fine.... So ported or die, M5???

I get the feeling that, based off your posts, it would be worth saving a few extra dollars for the ported enclosure. The Dcon 12 will sound fine in a 1.0 cube even sealed box, but really does open up in ported. Just taking a look at the parameters of the Dcon, it shows that. Outside of the popular performance per dollar aspect of the Dcon, it is a smaller box driver, so pushing towards the 2.0 side of things will not yeild you mega gains in performance for car audio. Home audio, that is a different story.

As for the enclosure, do you have the space, tools, and experience to build your own? Maybe have Eclectic Enclosure Designs, Argent, Dylan (JBLCAMRY) do the design for you and built it yourself. :)

No tool or experience.... Space yea... So I guess I cannot do this on my own... :(

Don't under estimate the DCON since it is a lower wattage driver. It can be very impressive in a ported enclosure in output. It is also a very good sounding driver especially in it's price range.

I have not heard or worked with the Mach 5 IXL driver so I cannot comment. I do know they make good drivers as well.

If you can build a box look at the tech specs for the DCON or better yet there are sample designs available for you do download.

Can't build my own... I am not skillful in that manner.

x10 on throwing it in a ported enclosure, right from the get-go it should be twice as loud as sealed... and still retain SQ.

ok..... ported again.... :unsure: ... Guess I'll put this on hold a bit... at least the woofer part....

ok..... ported again.... :unsure: ...

we're not trying to steer you wrong. the most common complaints i see from people with sealed boxes is a lack of loudness, and not playing low enough. both problems are easily solved with a ported box. plus its a more efficient design so you wouldnt need to upgrade to the JL 500/1. you see what i did there? i just saved you money by not having to buy the bigger amp. ;)

ok..... ported again.... :unsure: ...

we're not trying to steer you wrong. the most common complaints i see from people with sealed boxes is a lack of loudness, and not playing low enough. both problems are easily solved with a ported box. plus its a more efficient design so you wouldnt need to upgrade to the JL 500/1. you see what i did there? i just saved you money by not having to buy the bigger amp. ;)

I don't doubt for a minute you guys are suggesting what you know is best... I def will listen to the advice, I still need to get the box from somewhere and unfortunately Khaotik is out of the picture since shipping that box will cost like another 100 beans...lol.. I cannot build my own so I am going to find out full pricing from the guys you fellas recommended a little earlier on. Argent Audio seems to be doing a few in this community...

So now that you guys have mind-fckd me into the ported enclosure(lol), I should stick to the optimal or is going a little bigger going to give me some advantages on this one? I just want it to be badass if I am going to do this... I really only wanna do this once, so box sizes are not an issue for me.... I have a Camry trunk and I don't give a shyt about space.. Worst situation, I'll take the box out if I need the room. So, 2.25 cubes is the "optimal" size.... Will making this like 2.75 or 3.0 cubes make this sub more beastly or just sloppy as hell?

As the Dcon favors smaller ported enclosures, there is no real major advantage to go much larger in car. 2.0 is great.

So following the specs on the site, it calls for 2.25 cubes and I am assuming after woofer installation it is downed to just about 2.0 cubes? Is that correct?

Right now I am contacting some people to see what pricing I am looking at....

So following the specs on the site, it calls for 2.25 cubes and I am assuming after woofer installation it is downed to just about 2.0 cubes? Is that correct?

Right now I am contacting some people to see what pricing I am looking at....

No, I was just saying that 2.0 is fine. If you have the space for 2.25, go for it. :)`

Its a Camry.... I think I can fit alot more.. But you're saying not to go bigger so I'm gonna follow that... 2.25 cubes.. Hopefully I get a reply within the day so I can figure it all out...

See what Argent says too. :)