hatrix

Proper cable for microphone pre amp to computer ?

I'm buying this pre amp for my microphone: ART Pro Channel Microphone Preamp and Compressor

It has an XLR input for the mic, and XLR output, and an 1/4 input and output.

dv020jpgjumbo180589rear.jpg

My question is, what would be the best way to go from the pre amp into my sound card to record ? I have your typical line input on the sound card, 1/8 size.

1/4 to 1/8, or XLR to 1/8 ?

Edited by hatrix

You have an unbalanced stereo line input on your computer... there's really not a proper cable for this. You'll have to make one custom. 1/4" unbalanced to 1/8" unbalanced TIP (left channel).

For what you're spending on that thing though.. you should just get a USB pre. Why do you need crappy outboard compression and EQ anyway? Do it all in the box, or buy quality gear.

Crappy ? The pre amp is far from crappy. And if its so bad, then recommendations ?

And why would i need a special cable ? Why can't any 1/4 to 1/8 work ? Both input and output are unbalanced.

Edited by hatrix

Crappy ? The pre amp is far from crappy. And if its so bad, then recommendations ?

And why would i need a special cable ? Why can't any 1/4 to 1/8 work ? Both input and output are unbalanced.

It's a $150 channel strip lol.

I can't recommend you anything because I don't know what you're using it for.

You can't go from a MONO 1/4" jack to a Stereo 1/8" jack. Simple as that.

I'm looking for a microphone pre amp, thats about it. That one just happened to have an EQ and compressor.

I'm looking for a microphone pre amp, thats about it. That one just happened to have an EQ and compressor.

And just perhaps knowing whether it is for recording or measuring MIGHT make a HUGE FRIGGING difference. John was trying to help, but you aren't giving us anything to go on. My guess from what it seems you are trying to do is a major fail.

I need the pre amp for my condenser microphone..... to record....Thought this was pretty obvious.